10 Things I Learned The Hard Way As A Transfer Student At MSU

Because being the new kid on campus can be challenging, here are a few tips I learned the hard way so you won't have to.

99
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj7jdR8jkE-/?hl=en&taken-by=michiganstateu
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn1RZwxA2f3/?hl=en&taken-by=michiganstate.odyssey

Being a transfer student is never easy. Everyone seems to all have their own friend group and know their way around campus. Not only that, but there are so many quirks that come along with each university that you have to adopt to...

1. The CATA Bus and how it operates

Learning the bus system on campus is grueling. And especially being new and still not knowing where anything really is.. well it's terrifying. Squishing yourself onto a bus of a bunch of sweaty students and an angry bus driver isn't my idea of a good time. Oh and also trying to find what route you need to get to the right place ON TIME. Biggest struggle of all.

2. Drivers on campus do NOT yield to pedestrians

Something I've come to learn is that you MUST ALWAYS LOOK BEFORE YOU CROSS! Cars, golf carts, and bicyclists alike do. not. stop. for. you. They don't care about you. They will actually gesture, honk and yell obscenities at you if you aren't paying attention. Rule of thumb: Do not look down at your phone for any reason ever while walking on campus.

3. Bicyclists rule the sidewalks and they know it

Speaking of bicyclists yelling, yes this has actually happened to me. "Watch where you're going!" Like it's only my fault for an almost collision. *le sigh*

4. It's really easy to get lost

One minute you're on track, taking the world by storm and on time to the building you need to be in. The next minute you're halfway to Ann Arbor. It really happens that fast. Google Maps has saved my life a million times.

5. Getting coffee at Starbucks in Wells Hall (or really anywhere on campus)= NIGHTMARE

Do yourself a favor and double up your intake in the morning so you won't have to make several coffee stops throughout the day or you'll end up like this guy ^

6. Not packing your own lunch

If you have the money to spend, by all means go for it. But if you're truly a struggling broke college student (like me) grab something from home to shove into your bag or you'll be dropping about $25/ day on cafeteria food.

7. Things are super overpriced

Every. Thing. Is. $200+. Not really, but that's how it feels. Just saying.

8. Wear comfortable walking shoes..

If you miss your bus, you have to walk. Or if the bus is overcrowded you'll definitely have an easier time walking than trying to flag down a bus and hope it's going where you need it to. Just.. put on your comfiest shoes, rain or shine!

9. Be over prepared with supplies. 

I'm talking 100 extra pencils, pens, extra clothing. You name it. Have it in your bag for unplanned emergencies.

10. Commuting to campus 

If and when you have to commute to campus, always leave early and plan for traffic, parking, weather and most of all time to mentally prepare for your day of chaos that will ensue.