8 Signs You Grew Up In A Dance Studio

8 Signs You Grew Up In A Dance Studio

No matter where you are or who you're with, being a dancer will always be a part of you.

89
8 Signs You Grew Up In A Dance Studio
Lexis Trafton

When you grow up as a dancer, you often never realize how much you dance. It's not until afterwards that you realize how invested you were in it and how it still continues to show even after you have left. Whether it be just leaving the studio for the night or leaving the studio to continue your education or work or whatever it may be, dance follows you for the rest of your life. These signs can't be anymore true if you grew up in a dance studio.

1. You find yourself only being able to count to 8.

It’s not that we can’t count because we most certainly can, but sometimes we’ve been at the studio so long that it becomes routine to finish with eight and begin with one again.

2. When people find out you dance, they always immediately ask you to show them a move.

You kind of want to roll your eyes at these people. Don’t they know that in order to physically be able to do what we’re good at that we must warm up and get prepared? Dancer’s bodies are very important and we must take good care of them. We can’t just whip out fouettés or a tilt without making sure we’re stretched.

3. You find yourself tapping your feet underneath your desk.

This is inevitable. If you’ve ever taken a tap class before or have been interested in tap at all, you will be doing this for the rest of your life. Whether you’re taking a test, reading a book or working through paperwork at your new job, you will be trying to keep quiet while practicing the dance routine you just learned.

4. 'Boom' and 'ba da' are just a few words of a dancer's vocabulary.

5. Instead of saying, 'Ready, set, go!' you have people get ready with, '5, 6, 7, 8!'

Another thing that may get you some funny looks outside of the studio, but what are you going to do? It’s instinct!

6. Supporting your friends becomes something you enjoy doing.

7. You can't listen to a song without choreographing dances to it.

Whether it’s the Taylor Swift song on the radio or some random music you found on Youtube, you’re always choreographing when you hear a song that you like. Cars, showers, rooms and so many other places are where dancers have some of their best thoughts towards choreography.

8.You dance everywhere you go.

Whether you are tapping underneath the tables at school, practicing relevés for ballet in the line at the grocery store or even bobbing your head to the beat of the elevator music, you are always dancing no matter where you are in life. Dancing will forever be a part of you inside the studio and out.