With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Is Donald Trump Going to Use His Power For the Right Reasons?

16

Most of you, I would hope, know the name Donald Trump. But do you actually know as much about him as you think? Trump was born on June 14, 1946, in Queens to Frederick and Mary Trump. He received an economic degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968. A few years later, he took charge of his family’s real estate business and construction firm and renamed it, The Trump Organization, one of the most powerful businesses in the world. Also, he has owned the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants from 1996-2015. During his business career, Trump has built, renovated, and managed numerous office towers, hotels, casinos, and golf courses. But is he really fit to be the next President of the United States? “With great power comes great responsibility,” is a quote that is very applicable to his situation. He has been voted, by the American people, to the highest most powerful office position in the world. Is he going to use all of that control responsibly, or is he going to abuse his authority?

The power that the president of the United States posses comes with great responsibility. The Constitution explicitly assigned the president the power to sign or veto all legislation, control the armed forces, ask for the written opinion of his cabinet, convene or adjourn congress, grant pardons, and receive ambassadors. This laundry list of tasks also comes with some downfalls. The president is always in the spotlight. They are the face of the United States whether for good or bad reasons and whom we all look to in times of crisis. That is a lot of influence in itself. From the wise words of my Government and Politics teacher, Mrs. Everett, “The greatest power of the presidency, is the power of persuasion.” Anything the president does or says is monitored under a microscope. This power is what unites Americans fighting for a common goal or outcome. That’s why the United States is so patriotic and cohesive. If this power is not used properly, you could end up with a nation that is not merged together and that is when problems start to occur.

Trump’s platform emphasizes negotiating U.S.- China relations and free trade agreements such as NAFTA and the Trans-Pacific Partnership, strongly enforcing immigration laws, and building anew wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. His other positions include pursuing energy independence while opposing climate change regulations and repealing the Affordable Care Act. Donald Trump is the new kid on the block when it comes to the political word and that’s why many people voted for him. He brings a new side to the presidency that Americans have never seen before. At age 70, is the oldest and wealthiest person to assume the presidency. He is also the first president without prior military or governmental services. You can either call us crazy for electing him or adventurous and daring for providing him with so much power. Its what he ultimately does with all of this power that will decide what kind of president he is and how he ranks among former leaders.