Grandma we love you.

Grandma, We Appreciate You Beyond Words

Your faith in the Creator has touched each and every one of us.

349
Grandma, We Appreciate You Beyond Words

Dear Grandma,

You have 6 children, 13 grandchildren, and 15 great-grandchildren. Sometimes you forget how old everyone is. I actually just made a list of everyone because I forgot how many grandchildren you had for a second. That is so many children, Grandma. I am sure when you were my age you did not realize how much your family would grow. With all of us across Washington and you in New Mexico, it can be difficult seeing us grow up from a distance. I love every phone conversation with you Grandma. You always tell me to keep doing great things. You like to say I go to U-Dub; that I am a college girl to our family back on the Rez.

When we visit you every summer, I love seeing you and Papa. I can see it now. How you and Papa always have freshly brewed goweeh (coffee) on the table when we come to visit. Your pork chops and spaghetti are the best I have ever tasted. The warmed, thick tortillas on the table. "Eat son," you always tell my brother. "Eat honey," you say to me. I love your fry bread too. No one will ever compare to your cooking, Grandma. I watch you cook and admire you so much. I want to become a great Dine (Navajo) woman like you one day. Maybe I am getting closer to that?

I know all of us have our faults. We cause you distress and you often cry over us. I am sorry we do that to you Grandma. I wish we could be perfect children. I wish we could make ourselves better for you and papa. I know you are proud of us. You pray for us. Your faith in the Creator has touched each and every one of us. Even if some of us appear to be moving so far away from God, we always find our way back because of the talks you gave us as kids.

Grandma, you are so strong. We appreciate every single piece of love you give us. Thank you for staying kind, in such a cruel world. Your compassion has been passed down onto us kids. Your love of being Native has been given to us.

Thank you Grandma.

Love,

Victoria