Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018

Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018

Last year wasn't completely horrible.

55
Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018
Google

The New Year is upon us, everyone. We can officially kiss the garbage fire that was 2017 goodbye. Totally joking about the garbage fire part…okay only half joking.

A lot of horrible things happened over the course of the last year. From the devastation in Puerto Rico, Texas and Florida, to all of the shootings around the country, the attacks in Jerusalem and France, to a bombing that occurred at an Ariana Grande concert.

At the same time there was a lot of pettiness on display as well. Youtube controversy was abundant, and Twitter was even more blown up with the current American president, as he used it as one of his only methods of contact with the people of the world.

But amongst all the unnecessary drama, political strife and weather disasters, it was refreshing to witness people being human towards each other. Communities gathered together, raising money for relief efforts to aid to the disasters and their families. Santa in a small town who did not have much himself but to spread cheer to the local kids; this showed what Christmas was really about. These among many other actions may be small, but it shows that we are capable of caring about one another.

In the coming year, instead of making ‘New Year, New Me’ a meme, let’s actually do it. Let’s make more of an effort to help out in our communities, to better our environment, to be better friends, better children, better siblings. Because life is too short not to be the best people we can.

We can learn to be more tolerant, understanding and compassionate. Once we all make a conscience effort toward these goals, along with the ones we have made for ourselves, 2018 will be a great year. So let’s kick the new year’s butt.