Why God Wants Us To Forgive The Unforgivable

Jesus said, “If you don’t let go of your resentment, if you refuse to forgive others, you’ll be robbing yourself of your heavenly Father’s forgiveness.” Matthew 6:15

6892
thehunt.com

The hardest thing that a Christian is called to do is to forgive those that do an action that we believe is unforgivable, or forgive those who do not even ask for our forgiveness. Ever since we were old enough to speak, our parents told us to forgive others that wronged us because “It’s what Jesus would do.” So, we did. Every Christian knows that we should forgive others, because it is what the Bible calls for us to do. Many times, though, we do not realize how hard it actually is once someone betrays our love and trust. Many times, it is easier to just hold on to our anger, and hold a grudge. Instead, we should show grace -- just as God has done for us.

“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.” – C.S. Lewis

“Forgiveness” is mentioned in the Bible 105 different times. We are told to forgive over and over again, because it is what Jesus has done for us. God forgives us of our sins no matter the circumstances, and loves us just the same. We are called to love thy neighbor, even our enemies, and those that are not living by God’s words.

“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” Matthew 5:44

Forgiving others is not only pleasing God, but it also benefits yourself. Forgiving others frees your heart from the burden of hate and anger weighing it down. Others’ actions may not have been fair, or may not have been justified in the slightest, but in the end, we must find peace within ourselves to forgive them. We owe ourselves the right to be at peace in our lives, and with God. That is what God wants for us. The Bible also says “peace” 429 times. As a child of God, hate should not consume you. Instead, we should show love and compassion, even when the actions of others are cruel and hateful. Although it may be the hardest thing that you will have to do as a Christian, you must have a forgiving heart, because in the end, you are the one that suffers.

God will lead you to the right path. He will take care of you, has already planned who stays to encourage you in life, who goes to strengthen you in life, and both mold you and shape you to the person that you are supposed to be. By forgiving both, you become stronger -- in your faith, and within yourself as well. When faced with the troubles of forgiveness, pray to God to find strength to forgive, but also pray for them. Pray for them to find peace within themselves as well, and for them to seek Christ in their own time. It may not change them, but it will always change you. Always show God’s grace.