When You Give A Girl A Little Brother

When You Give A Girl A Little Brother

You change her life forever.

59
When You Give A Girl A Little Brother
Caitlin Flaherty

Little brothers seem to have this reputation. To be annoying, to be pains, to be there to constantly pester. And they do, don't get me wrong, but they are so much more. When you give a girl a little brother, you're giving her so much more than just a sibling.

When you give a girl a little brother...

You give her a supporter of her mischievous side. Let's face it, little girls are said to be made of "sugar and spice and everything nice" for a reason. But, when there's a little brother in the picture everything changes. Suddenly, someone has ideas to color on the walls and it seems so much more fun than the paper.

You give her someone to love. As soon as a little girl gets over the heartbreak of not having a sister, she'll fall in love with having a little brother. She'll want to parade him around like she's his mom and to paint his nails. She'll want to help pick his onesie and one day down the road, help pick his first school dance outfits.

You give her someone to protect. A big sister is going to mess with her brother, it's her job. But if anyone else tries, they're facing trouble. Nothing breaks the heart of a big sister more than seeing her little brother upset or wronged.

You give her a role in life. A little brother gives a girl a reason to be brave. A little brother gives a girl a reason to be tough, but kind. A little brother gives a girl a reason to behave. Anything you do, he's going to do so you better not mess up.

You give her a learning experience. They test you, it's true, but they also teach you. Little brothers teach you to be tough. Little brothers teach you to be nice when mom's around. Little brothers teach you to laugh at yourself. Little brothers teach you to never give up. Little brothers teach you to stand up for yourself. And little brothers sure teach you to never let your guard down.

Through the years jokes about wishing he was a sister were made through both anger and tears and through laughs and smiles. But life without him wouldn't have been as much fun. Playing princess dress up with a little sister wouldn't have been so fun. And that picture of a sister in your Hannah Montana wig would not be your favorite picture.

...you give her the best thing that could have happened to her.