Getting Enough Sleep Is Difficult For College Students, But Doesn't Have To Be
Health Wellness

Getting Enough Sleep Is Difficult For College Students, But It Doesn't Have To Be For You

Sleep is vital in giving us enough energy to pay attention in class and helps us function as proper human beings.

131

Sleep is very precious for the average college student. Chances are, we have all been in situations where we stayed up late working on a last minute assignment or submitted an essay minutes before the deadline. Between spending time commuting to the different campuses by going to class on the bus, doing work, extracurriculars, or going out with friends, or even just having a noisy roommate, it is difficult to get enough sleep.

My first semester of college is quickly winding down and I have found myself becoming consumed with endless responsibilities in amounts that I have never faced before. Finding time to take naps after my 8 a.m. class is often a struggle and I often resort to drinking coffee to give me enough energy throughout the day.

Sleep is vital in giving us enough energy to pay attention in class and helps us function as proper human beings. Here are some ways that we can try to get more sleep.

1. Plan out your day

Tasks seem overwhelming, but breaking it up into smaller parts makes it easier to remember what you have to do, and writing it out in front of you also helps a lot.

2. Set a time for when you should have a task completed by

Since we have a lot of freedom in college, it is beneficial if we keep a regimented plan for ourselves, so we don't get distracted. Personally, In my first semester of college, from finding my way on the busses to adjusting to the new workload of college, I had a difficult time completing my tasks. Writing out a thorough, detailed plan on the tasks you have to complete, and setting a timer to complete the tasks will save you the last minute hassle.

3. Spread out tasks

We are less likely to become overwhelmed by our work if it is broken down in smaller tasks.

Although college is stressful and many of us do not get enough sleep, there are ways to deal so that we do get enough sleep. It's a lot easier said than done, but we just have to try and manage our time better.