Food and Wine: A Match Made in Heaven - 3 Rules for the Pairing

Food and wine are like a happy 21st couple. Partners that work together without overpowering each other. So, pair a richer food with a robust, full-bodied wine and vice versa. If you order a bottle of Pinot Grigio with your spicy Chinese sausages, it will get lost in the spice completely.

11

"Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used." - William Shakespeare.

So, if Shakespeare thought so, it must be right! Well, fortunately in this, a good wine goes a million miles, making people very happy on its way!

Whoever thought drinking leftover grape juice was a good idea was absolutely right. While they may not know the impact of their discovery, every wine lover and sommelier thanks them every time they hear the familiar pop of the wine bottle.

This blog will help you choose the perfect food-wine pairings for different occasions and outline the three cardinal food and wine pairing rules. Happy reading!

Complementing Flavors and Tones – The Holy Grail of Food-Wine Pairing

1. Pair Similar Intensity and Textures Together

Pairs that work

●Sauvignon Blanc with a grilled veggie salad

●Cabernet Sauvignon with some blue cheese and ribeye

2. Pair Opposing Flavor Notes Together

Much like all happy pairings (human or otherwise), the law of opposite attraction holds true for wine and food pairs. Pair wines with contrasting undertones to balance the primary flavor tone of the food.

Pairs that work

●Spicy food with sweeter wine (or vice versa) – The lingering sweetness of the wine helps balance the spicy of the food, creating a dance of flavors in your mouth.

Prosecco with spicy fish rolls

German Riesling with Thai food

●Salty food with sweet wine – The sweet from the wine balances the salt of the food.

Port wine with Roquefort/Stilton

Lambrusco with a charcuterie platter

●Savory food with acidic wine (or vice versa) - The acidity from the wine helps to cleanse the palate while eating creamy, starchy food.

Champagne and brie cheese

Chardonnay with scallops or cheesy pasta

3. The case with Deserts and Wine

When it comes to pairing the last course of sweet goodness (pies, mousse cakes, and everything nice in the world), always choose a wine that offers a similar level of sweetness. Dessert wines are the safest options, but the list is endless if you know how to balance the flavors right.

Pairs that work

●Ice wine with fresh fruit cups or cobblers

●Moscato d'Asti with peach or strawberry shortcake

●Ruby port with chocolate mousse or pies

●Riesling with glazed pork roast

Summing Up

Be it a celebratory bottle of champagne or a well-choreographed 5-course meal at a fine dining restaurant; wines are an integral part of our gourmet culture. The right food and wine pairing, albeit tough to master, is a gamechanger in most cases. It has the power to make or break the perfect evening; transform an average wine and dine experience into a Michelin-star culinary extravaganza.

Here's hoping these rules and food-wine pairs will help you plan your next party like a pro.