The College Student's Chance To Have A Say This Election

I can't even vote, and I'm still excited

3
CNN

On Monday, my roommate and I went to a “viewing party” for the presidential debate that was being held in one of the nicer dorms on our campus. My roommate was going so she could get some extra credit for a class of hers and invited me along. Aside from the promise of free popcorn, I had virtually no reason to go. But I went anyway, expecting a small, low-key event with a few people crowded around a TV. I was pleasantly surprised at what it actually turned out to be.

It was quite a production: a big screen and projector were set up in the front of the room, there was a popcorn bar with various toppings and add-ons, and there was even “Donald Trump Bingo,” where phrases he’s been known to use during debates were arranged on a bingo card. I played while I watched and almost won.

But best of all, the room was packed. Guys and girls all sat together, waiting for the debate to start. When it began, it was like we were in a movie theater (sometimes I wish this entire election was a movie and not actually happening). Everybody booed and laughed at Donald Trump and clapped for Hillary every time she delivered a sharp comeback. There was occasionally the odd person who cheered for Trump, but we all let it slide. I felt unified with everyone around me, like we were all thinking the same thing every time Donald Trump interrupted Hillary and the entire room let out a collective scoff.

When I talked about the viewing party with a friend of mine over the phone, I mentioned how cool it was that so many people showed up for that single event alone. Who even knows how many others were watching on their laptops or TVs in their own dorms?

My friend said, “It’s so great that you’re in college during an election year, especially this one. This is such an important one, and you’re at the perfect age and in the perfect location to witness it.”

Aside from the fact that for the first time in history there’s a woman presidential candidate, this is also the first time that many of the people I know will be getting to vote. I won’t be voting this year, since I turn 18 a month after the election, but most of my friends have already had their birthdays and are getting registered to vote. This election is truly going to change history no matter who wins, and the fact that my generation is the one who will have to deal with it the longest is pretty crazy to think about.

A lot of people these days believe that millennials are lazy and uninterested in the world around them, and this might be true. But as far as I’ve seen, everybody cares about this election. This is the age where we’re not only old enough to remember historical events, but we can actually participate in them, and there’s something really liberating about that to me.

It’s one thing to be in high school during an election, where you’re lucky if it even gets touched upon in school in a serious, thoughtful manner, but still have to go home to your parents and listen to their opinions (props to you, especially if they’re views are different than yours). But to be in college and to be surrounded by likeminded people who, like you, finally have the power to change and are ready to use it to make our country a better place, well . . . if that doesn’t give you the chills, then I’m not sure what will.