To The Man I Loved First, The Best Father Alive
Dads

Without you, I would lack so much guidance and security in life.

649
Eliyah Sablan

Dear Dad,

I'm writing this letter to let you know that I'm so thankful to call you mine. You are not only my first love but my ultimate love so far. As I've grown up and gone away to college, it just makes me so much more appreciative of everything you've done, of everything that you are. I'm sorry because sometimes my actions and words don't always reflect how I truly feel, when in reality, the truth is that I could never imagine life without you in it.

You were not only my first friend but my first mentor. Ever since I was a baby until now, you've gone from teaching me how to walk, to teaching me how to (unsuccessfully) drive. You've transitioned from giving me advice about not talking to strangers to guiding me on what my career path should be. There have been many times when we've had disagreements, and I know that I have not always been easy to deal with, but thank you. Thank you because were and continue to always be there to shower me with unconditional love and acceptance-something that I've honestly searched for my entire life.

Without you, I would lack so much guidance and security in life. I probably wouldn't have the same morals and values I have today if it weren't for your constant reminders and direction. You've taught me how to be compassionate towards others, how to be patient in frustrating situations, and most of all, how to make sacrifices for the people that I love. You've shown me a sense of self-worth that I could never have realized by myself. I remember countless times when I would come home from middle school and be discouraged because I didn't have any friends. During those days, I lost so much self-confidence, but, you revived that within me. I don't know what I would do without my number one cheerleader.

I'm writing this letter to let you know that despite everything, I treasure you and what you have to say. I may not always show it, but I take your advice to heart, and your opinions still mean the world to me. Even if I'm grown up now, and you say that I'm not your little girl anymore, you're still the first person I thought to call when I got into that car accident. You're still the first person I want a hug from when I come home from college. I value your opinions about all aspects in my life, whether it be who I'm friends with, how my spiritual life is going, what activities or hobbies I choose to pursue, and overall, what major life decisions I choose to make.

Dad, your jokes are infinitely cheesy, you snore too loud, and we don't always understand each other. But, at the same time, all your quirks and our fights and make-ups contribute to the reasons why I love you.

Even when I'm older, my mind will forever be ingrained with a picture of the way your eyes crinkle when you laugh and your genuine smile. Even when I'm 80 years old, I know I'll still need you.

Nothing I type in this letter will ever reflect how I feel about you. This is just a small glimpse of my love for you.

Love always,

Iyah