Importance of starting to work early
Education

Why Starting To Work at the age of 16 was the best decision i've ever made

Trust me, handling being a full-time student and a part-time worker in high school is DEFINITELY possible.

255

Being sixteen years old not only comes comes with loads of responsibility, but it also comes with freedom as well. It's the age that marks being able to get a driver's license, and often times the age where many start to feel more independent. Something that many sixteen year olds often times don't consider is working for the first time. This often appears as a common misconception because a sixteen year old attending high school often times is told that balancing school, AP courses for the first time, extracurricular activities, learning how to drive, preparing to complete college applications, and SAT or ACT tests, as well as a part time job is almost impossible.

However, I proved myself, as well as my family and friends completely wrong when I was a full time high school senior, was involved in various extracurricular activities, prepared for standardized tests, learned how to drive, and worked a part time job not only during the summer, but during the school year as well.

After reading this, many may wonder, how I handled all of this, and why being overwhelmingly busy was the best decision I had ever made. Here's how.

1. Gaining a greater sense of independence and empowerment

Being a full time high school senior, applying over 10 colleges and universities all across the country, being a full time athlete playing both high school and club soccer, and being an active leader in my high school's Associated Student body, and having a part time job on the side, I felt a great sense of not only pride in myself, but I felt empowered and in control. I was able to make some money to support myself and didn't feel like I needed to ask my parents for money.

2. A fantastic resume booster

Before starting my first job, I practically had no resume. The only thing that I could have potentially added was the leadership experience I had throughout middle school and high school, as well as volunteering at a summer arts and sports camp from 7th grade until my sophomore year of high school. I was able to boost my resume, which encouraged me to continue working throughout the rest of high school and beyond. This also put me much further ahead of my peers and other student my age when applying to jobs while in college and summer internships because I had acquired so much work experience.

3. Finding your passion early on

While for many people, starting their first job may not be the most enjoyable activity they have ever taken part in, it certainly assists in figuring out what you are interested in doing and helps narrow down things you are not interested in pursuing later on. For example, many of my peers worked their first jobs in retail, but realized that after that experience that they never want to go into retail ever again. Knowing this at an early age goes a long way in the future.