first internship
Education

The Best Thing That I Learned From My Internship

Not every job is for you and that's ok

72
books on a desk

As a college student, I frequently hear how important it is to invest some time into an internship. So I decided to search for an internship my sophomore year and soon became part of a team.

For the first time, I felt as if I was heading towards the right direction and that the answers would slowly come. And they did, just not the ones I expected.

After getting a better understanding of the work environment, culture, and the number of employees, I soon learned the type of place I wanted to be after graduation, and unfortunately, it wasn't my internship.

However, it did help me have a better understanding of where I want to be in the future.

I also appreciated the hands-on experience and enjoyed being part of the team, but it just wasn't the place for me.

After looking at the big picture and I found that you can always learn something new even if the job isn't your specialty.

Afterall, internships are short-term and are intended to help you learn a new skill, the company, and apply what you're learning in class. So before you second-guess a title or name remember that you're not required to stay as an employee and that the purpose is to learn about the job.

Besides no one said, everything comes easy, and not every opportunity that presents itself is for you and that's okay, but that doesn't mean you can't learn from it. I plan to continue my search, as I am excited to find a new internship this fall that will better guide me into my post-graduation plans.