Finals Week For Art Majors

Finals Week For Art Majors

Not as many books, just as much stress.

69
Finals Week For Art Majors

There's definitely a different process that goes into completing art finals versus the more academic based ones. Its true, art majors don't generally have to study textbooks for studio based classes but that doesn't mean they don't have to work as hard. So ever wonder about the amount of work art majors have to go through during finals week? Here are some stages that every art student goes through during finals. You might find that some are very similar to your own finals week misery.

Brainstorming

Probably the hardest part about final projects are figuring out what you want to do, especially when it's worth about 20 to 30 percent of your grade. Sketching ideas that end up in the garbage is all part of the process. Don't be afraid if your final product isn't what you thought it'd be!

Executing

You finally figured out what you want to do and now all you have to do it. You make sure that it's not the night before the due date, and that procrastination is a thing of the past. Creating something worth presenting is what's driving you to do as best as you can on this project.

The Mental/Physical Breakdowns

It seems that no matter how early you start, freaking out the night before cannot be avoided. Don't worry, it's normal. Crying and wanting to scrap everything and completely start over is normal as well. Hang in there young artist, the amount of effort you put in your work is what makes it look great. Just be confident in it!

Sleep Deprivation

The lack of sleep takes a toll on you and although you feel mentally awake, your body starts to give up. Staying up past 2 a.m. or not even sleeping to complete a final project is nothing new. Seeing your classmates passed out in the lounge or anywhere there's a couch proves to be normal as well. Your non-art friends will wonder how you're still up and you find yourself asking the same thing.

Final Crit

Imagine having something that you've worked countless hours being critiqued to the fullest. Final Critiques are the last part of finals where your peers and instructor question, analyze and interpret your work. Along with generous compliments, you're exposed to negative comments and difficult questions about your piece that may even bring you to tears. Every artist will experience disapproval but these critiques are meant to help you for future work. All criticism is good criticism.

Relief!

All the missed hours of sleep can now be redeemed because you're done! Congratulations artist, you get to relax while everyone else studies for finals. Now you have some awesome pieces to add to your portfolio. Good job, you did it.