10 Feminist Thoughts You Have While Watching 'The Bachelor'

"Oh, he did NOT just say that."

61
google.com

Let's be honest, "Bachelor" fans: This show isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to furthering women's social equality. With women competing for a man's attention as the premise, a tired stereotype continues to be prevalent in today's media. While the show does have its progressive moments, there are times when viewers--as feminists, humanists, or whatever the hell is politically correct now--can't help but roll their eyes.

1. When a girl gets out of her limo on the first night, and the camera immediately pans up and down her body.

We get it. Everyone here is super hot — but what are her goals and dreams? Her favorite dog breed? Her stance on international politics? These are women, not shiny dolls.

2. When the fighting starts, and all you want is for these ladies to come together and support each other.

Can't we just end the overtired "girl drama" trope and love each other? Please?

3. When some girl gets shamed for being assertive in her relationship.

Come on, it's not like she's the one dating 20 people at once.

4. When there's one girl who puts her own needs first and leaves before being sent home.

And you just hope that wherever she is now, she's safe and happy and having a wonderful life.

5. When the Bachelor assumes that his future wife will be the one to give up her home and career to move to wherever he lives.

If that's what you both end up working out, then great — but why can't we even consider that her job might be important too?

6. When hometown dates come around and the Bachelor makes a big deal out of asking for each girl's father's "permission" to marry her.

It's 2016, are we still pretending that daughters are property to be kept or given away at their fathers' will?

7. When a huge spectacle is made out of the "crazy, emotional girl."

Because god forbid a woman ever have feelings.

8. When the Bachelor says, "She's the most special, amazing woman I've ever met, and I could definitely see her as my wife" about seven different girls.

Yes, the whole point of the show is that he's dating multiple women, but can't he be bothered to distinguish them? They're all different people, with varying traits that define them. Either learn some new adjectives or learn to tell one woman apart from the next.

9. When a contestant is referred to as a "bitch" or a "slut" by another contestant.

Why? Just, why.

10. When you aren't sure why you keep watching this trash, but you do anyway because it's entertaining trash.

Don't worry, nobody's going to be arrested by the feminism police just for watching "The Bachelor." As long as we acknowledge that it's problematic, right?

Right.