Fellow Emo Kids, My Chemical Romance Dropped the Bomb On Us

Sadly, they don't have a reunion tour coming like we all hoped, but we still have so many reasons to be happy post-breakup.

53
Wallpapers Craft

I was in seventh grade, and you can only imagine how I looked at the time: greasy skin, crooked teeth, shaped not quite like a girl yet. I wasn't allowed to get a cell phone until high school, so I spent most of my free time on my old Toshiba laptop, listening to my iPod Classic (which I still have in working condition) or spending time outside with my friends.

My best friend Calyn, seemed to be the only person who "got" me - I was misunderstood after all. Some of the tunes on my iPod were from bands like Papa Roach, Trapt, Three Days Grace and My Chemical Romance. Of the three, My Chem (an affectionate nickname) was easily my favorite.

I owned all of their music, several t-shirts, a poster and their "Life on the Murder Scene" DVD. I spent hours listening to their music, letting the words wash over me and envelope me in a blanket of angst. Of course, most 13-year-olds are dramatic, but it is hard for me to make fun of my affection for this band: I truly loved them and enjoyed that their music spoke to me.

My dream came true in April 2008 when I got to attend my first rock concert, X-Fest, which took place at the Baton Rouge River Center. It had quite an impressive lineup: Meriwether, Puddle of Mudd, Finger Eleven, Billy Talent, Story of the Year, Atreyu and My Chemical Romance. I have fond memories from the concert, particularly the members of Meriwether tying Calyn and I's hair together in a knot and bawling my eyes out all the way through My Chem's performance. To this day it is still one of my favorite show experiences, simply because of the emotion involved. It was a time when I was still innocent, and everything new was such an extraordinary experience.

<span id="selection-marker-1" class="redactor-selection-marker" data-verified="redactor"></span> In March 2013 My Chemical Romance broke up, breaking the hearts of their long-time fans like myself. As I aged so had my taste in music, and I had fallen deeper and deeper into the progressive rock scene. I branched out. I never forgot about good ol' My Chem, though, who still has their own playlist in my cell phone.

A few days ago, however, this teaser trailer was released by the band:

Fans were thrilled! What does it mean, we wondered? Could My Chemical Romance be planning a big reunion tour? Or better yet, a set of unreleased music? They did delete their breakup Tweet on Twitter, so many fans were holding their breath, waiting for the best.

Unfortunately, My Chemical Romance officially responded to the hype on Billboard with disappointing news: "We've been really touched and blown away by the response to the teaser trailer. We are not touring and there is no reunion planned - only a release for the anniversary of The Black Parade."

I was also personally disappointed by the revelation, but I was in no way surprised. A reunion was a long shot. It's okay with me - the band has moved on, and so have I. I am not the same person that I was in seventh grade, or high school or even early college. As the band grew, so did I. When they made the decision to take their separate roads and do different things, I was sad but I was also happy for them, because they had accomplished what they set out to do: make beautiful music for beautiful people. I know my fellow emo kids are pouting as they stow away their black eyeliner, but I hope everyone can be happy for Gerard, Mikey, Frank, Ray and Bob.

My Chemical Romance dropped the bomb on us, yes, but we still love them. We always will love them, and we will always have their music to enjoy.