When Nightmares Become Reality

When Did Our Fears Go From Nightmare To Reality?

Living with fears can be difficult, but being able to over come them could help. It can be hard, but worth it.

27

Fear always depends on the person, but it's all the same, in a way. We all have something to fear, which has meaning to who we are as people. A lot of the time we can't explain why we're afraid of something while others manifest their fear from a traumatic experience, past or present.

At a young age, we aren't really sure what fear actually is or means. The only thing we're really afraid of is, the "boogieman" or the possible monsters under our bed, or being afraid of the dark. A lot of the time we outgrow these and begin to fear "real" problems. However, our fears are real, to us, they are a big part of who we are.

For instants I am afraid of fire/candles, getting left behind, clowns, not going after my dream, talking in front of people, and being a disappointment. These have to do with what has happened to me through my life. The fire is because of my house burning down due to a candle when I was younger. I have people leave my life for whatever the reason and I don't want it to happen for the rest of my life, this is why I sometimes have a hard time letting people in.

I am afraid of clowns for a reason that is unknown to me and I really can't understand it. I want to be a writer, but I'm scared that I won't actually go after my dream. I have a hard time with spelling and being confident with my writing. talking in front of people is something I can't do, I don't really know why. I have a hard time giving presentations or just talking in front of people, I don't like people looking at me or judging me. However, I have no problem dancing in front of people, I don't understand.

I had asked around and ages range from 19-21. The answers I got varied, but they were also relatable. They're afraid of; spiders, being a disappointment to their family, heights, being alone, tornado's/dying alone, leaving the people they love behind, dying alone with their dogs, living paycheck to paycheck, and clowns.

In today's society living in fear of living paycheck to paycheck is terrifying. Everything is so expensive, living on your own or ever with other people paying rent is a lot of money. Working can be a struggle, you have people working multiple jobs to pay their rent. A lot of the time they are working as well as going to school which makes it difficult to do anything else.

Spiders, heights, tornado's, leaving those you love behind are all common fears. Being a disappointment is the scariest fear to have. Everything you do thinking and hoping to yourself that you're doing something right. I, L or can be a disappointment to the people I love. I fear that what I want to do won't be ideal to the ones around me and they won't support me, even though I know they will support me.

Fears can be a blessing and a curse. They can stop us from living or life and other times they can help us live again. For me, the best example is my fear with candles and fire. I've explained how I had a house fire when I was younger and how I didn't allow candles in the house. Well, now I can happily say that I'm getting better, I'm getting better when it comes to being around them.