Fake Instagram Accounts Claim Help

A Message To The Fake Instagram Accounts Claiming To Help People in Crisis

Post something to help, not hurt.

59
Pexels / rawpixel.com
https://www.pexels.com/photo/three-women-holding-their-phones-1409694/

Recently, there have been numerous accounts on popping up on Instagram claiming to help people around the world by donating money and bring awareness if the user shares a post on their story or likes the post. This has been occurring with numerous important issues the past few months, such as saving the environment and now Sudan.

As the political crisis is occurring in Sudan, Instagram has been seeing numerous accounts such as, **"@SudanMealProject" which are racking more than 500 thousand followers in one week. The account promises to aid Sudan during the crisis, as stated in their bio, "We're committed to donating up to 100,000 meals to Sudanese civilians." The account's post says that "For every story repost this post gets, we will provide one meal to Sudanese children, and you will help spread awareness on what's happening in Sudan." This led to a widespread of many users reposting the account on their stories.

What is wrong in this, you might ask? Well, these accounts are using a world crisis to gain followers, likes, and fame. They all have no intention of helping in any way, shape, or form. If you take a closer look at these accounts, half of them have no proof of donating anything and have very little information about their goals. It's disgusting how people can use a crisis to gain popularity and attention.

A recent interview done by The Atlantic with UNICEF's communications specialist, Joe English, said how "It's incredibly difficult to send meals to Sudan."

This is significant proof that Instagram accounts such as "@SudanMealProject" have no intention of doing any real good.

In addition to reposting and sharing posts, many Instagram users and fake accounts have been changing their profile picture to blue. The blue color is to bring awareness and respect Mohamed Hashim Mattar, who was killed by protesters. Since his profile picture during his time of death was blue, numerous users changed their picture to blue as a sign of unanimity and solidarity. The blue color has a meaning behind it, and fake Instagram accounts using it to gain views is very disrespectful.

To all the fake Instagram accounts, stop doing what you're doing because the attention is not helping your own life or helping fix problems.

If you see any of these fake accounts, please report them immediately. The best way to help Sudan is by speaking out and help actual organizations such as UNICEF.

Click here to donate to help save the children in Sudan:Help Save Children's Lives | UNICEF

** @SudanMealProject has just recently been taken down on Instagram.