13 Eye-Opening Quotes Every Healthy, Independent Person Should Live By

As Oscar Wilde once said, "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
65

There are many times I feel sad or depressed, but I can't talk to my friends about it, because I don't know how to explain what I'm feeling. I feel all alone and want to know that I'll make it, that others have survived too. My main remedy is the internet and books. One of the reasons I write for the Odyssey is to express my emotions and talk about hardships I've gone through in hopes that I can let them know that they aren't alone. Turns out I'm not the only one as the world is filled with quotes: a beautiful piece of advice for each one of us. After seeing all the amazing advice the world has to offer, I truly believe there is a quote out there for all of us. I decided to make a collection of quotes that I found to encompass the essential needs and principles one's life needs to follow for success and happiness. I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

1. Move on.

"You can't change what has already happened so don't waste your time thining about it. Move on, let go and get over it." Unknown

I've had some rough moments that range from falling asleep before an 11:59 p.m. deadline to being mentally-devastated by a car crash, but regardless of how bad the situation was, I realized it was history, and nothing I did could change it. I stopped worrying about things that were out of my hand and started to move on learning from my mistake.

2. Be great.

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.” Eleanor Roosevelt

Fun fact: Spend less time talking about the amazing things other people have done, and go do some on yourself. Especially for students, the only person gossip is hurting is yourself.

3. It's OK to dream.

"Sometimes life is risking everything for a dream no one can see but you." Unknown

I say go hard, or go home. There ain't no other way to do it. Have a goal in life because it allows you to visualize a future you can work towards. Your goal is yours, so sometimes, people won't understand why you're doing something. That's OK, because it's your dream, not theirs. No matter how many times you try to explain, they might never understand.

4. Difficulty is inevitable.

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." – Unknown

I've noticed that the most successful people are the ones who have had it the hardest. With this mindset, I face difficulty head-on in hopes that it will make me a stronger person. And trouble lurks everywhere. You can't have it easy all the time; life doesn't work like that, so you might as well embrace it.

5. Being alone isn't a bad thing.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel alone" Robin Williams

There was a time when I had many friends, but I still felt alone. Why? Because it's always quality over quantity. You don't have to be physically isolated to feel alone. It's possible to feel lonely. Don't surround yourself with people who will ditch you at the slightest inconvenience. Find true friends who will make sure you never feel alone.

6. Rely on yourself.

"Only you can make yourself happy” Unknown

This one is essential to have a healthy mind. I used to get so disappointed with people because they let me down. It was so tiring getting my hopes knocked down over and over again, so I just stopped. I learned to rely on myself for everything, and it felt amazing to be independent. Imagine if you relied on yourself to make you happy. Then, you could always be sure that your mood will be positive.

7. The Importance Of Family

"Family is not an important thing. It's everything." — Michael J. Fox

There was a time where I thought that spending time with my family was the most boring thing on the planet. Now, I miss it so much. I barely get time to go on walks with them and play board games. That's not OK. I need to make more time for my loved ones and enjoy the time I have with them.

8. Staying healthy is key.

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live in." — Unknown

Nothing is more important than your health. When I made health a second priority, it made me pass out at school. Know that your body has limits, too, and respect it. It doesn't matter what you achieve if you aren't healthy enough to enjoy it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking it easy for your health.

9. Live like there's no tomorrow.

"Enjoy life today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow is never promised." —Unknown

Cliche, but true. I have had friends who have lost parents one day suddenly. You never know when your time is up, so make the most of life today. Don't put things off and take action. Keeping a bucket list is a great idea. I'm not saying that drop everything and move to your paradise city, but have goals and don't stop working to achieve them, so you have no regrets.

10. Work hard to succeed.

"There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs." — Unknown

Things won't be handed to you on a silver plate. Whatever you achieve will be due to how much hard work you put in. That's why the most successful people go through the most obstacles and work the hardest.

11. Keep asking questions.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." — Albert Einstein

I'm the type of person who has to figure how something works or why it is how it is before I accept it. If I wasn't allowed to ask questions, I'd probably die no joke. Asking questions makes you more aware of the world, so don't be afraid to raise your hand and pop a question.

12. Keep calm and smile!

"Use your smile to change the world. Don't let the world change your smile." — Unknown

Everyone looks more attractive with a smile. It's a fact.

13. Don't stop kearning.

"Once you stop learning, you start dying." — Albert Einstein

Keep an open mind. Don't let ego stop you from understanding a new concept or idea. Just because you graduate high school or college, please don't think you are done because the world is always changing and if you want to adapt to it, you have to learn about the new changes.