I Swear, Sometimes In College, I Feel Like I'm In A New Universe

6 Reasons I Am Fully Convinced That Elon Is Its Own Separate Universe

There's a reason we call it the 'Elon bubble.'

256
Reilly Marzen

I'm not kidding. Elon is truly an interesting place, and I don't mean that as a bad thing at all. It has its quirks, which is what makes the school so special for us students. However, even though we love it, we have to admit that some pretty weird occurrences happen here. I don't know if it has something to do with the South or the large population of people from all over the world gathering in one place, but Elon is weird. But again, we love it!

1. Civilization shuts down for snow.

Before going to school down South, I had heard that entire towns shut down as a result of even the tiniest amount of snowfall. However, I didn't expect multiple snow days following only a couple inches of snow. This past January, we literally got two and a half days off from classes because it snowed 5 inches. And just this past weekend, surprisingly we got hit with about 8 to 10 inches, and for days, too many places off-campus were shut down. As a Northerner, it's certainly odd to see this kind of reaction.

2. The temperature can fluctuate 30 degrees within a single day. 

Since beginning college, I have learned the importance of checking the weather app...constantly. Not only does the climate fluctuate rapidly between days, but it can do that within 12 hours. Fall here can somewhat be the worst when you have to dress for 35-degree weather going to your morning class, but sweating during lunchtime when it's 60 out!

3. You can find some people wearing parkas when it's 45 degrees and others wearing shorts and flip flops when it's 32.  

Another weird thing about weather is that because the student population consists of people from all over the world, people dress very differently when it gets cold. On the walk to class on a nice 40-degree morning, you can see the Floridian wearing their winter coat and beanie, and the Canadian wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a long-sleeve. Those people worry me.

4. No one is bothered by the fact that Burlington has more fast food places than people.  

I've heard fast food is a very Southern thing. That must explain why Burlington literally has an endless array of options when you're craving something really greasy, salty, and fattening. It certainly is not like that up North.

5. There is a dining location that charges $11...for juice. 

Recently, our new dining hall opened with a couple more retail dining options as well. One of them is a juice company that sells smoothies, smoothie bowls, and well, juice. I have not been to pay it a visit yet, but I heard from my roommates once that a single serving size container of juice was upwards of $10. And people actually pay for that? Maybe it's just really good juice.

6. You can see more dogs on campus than in the real world on a daily basis. 

This is easily one of the best things about Elon, period. Do you know how much better your day gets when you cross like 3 dogs on your way to class or at a party on the weekend? They are everywhere.