Reasons Why Dress Codes Are Important For Work Environments

Dress codes aren't there to 'Oppress' you, They're there to make you look professional

There is a time and a place for everything.

86
https://www.maxpixel.net/Hanger-Steel-Laundry-Dress-Clothing-2583113

I grew up in a private, Christian school. Believe me, when I tell you, I know strict dress codes. No leggings. No shirts with sleeves less than three fingers wide. Skirts and shorts MUST be at fingertips length at all times.

It sucked. I hated having such strict restrictions on how I could express myself. Most of all, I hated hearing "We don't want to distract the boys."

Outdated and poor taste. No argument there.

But dress codes AREN'T there to protect boys. They're not there to prevent you from wearing what you want. They're there to make you look professional.

When you get to college, there is no dress code. Truthfully speaking, you could probably show up in a bathing suit and no one would care. I took full advantage of this and wore a tee shirt and shorts to EVERY class in college.

If it were up to me, oversized tee shirts, athletic shorts, and sandals would be acceptable for every occasion.

BUT, they're not. There is a time and a place for everything. There are a time and place to wear tank tops. To wear sweatpants. To wear short-shorts. High school is simply not one of them.

I'm all for wearing what makes you feel beautiful, what makes you comfortable, and what makes you confident. But like I said, there is a time and a place for everything.

You wouldn't show up to a job interview in a crop top and ripped jean shorts. So why do it at school - a professional learning environment?

When you get sent to the office over whatever article of clothing made administration mad, know that it is not being done to oppress you or embarrass you. It's being done to establish a professional learning environment.