I Started the New Decade By Talking to an Old Friend

And it should be the model by which I live this year

13

2020 is generating a lot of buzz - particularly in Chicago, with marijuana legalization. As the year continues we have a lot to look forward to - the presidential election, the Tokyo Olympics, and other unique leap year events. However, in all the time spend looking forward, don't forget to live in the now, and connect with those you love.

I met my friend when I was halfway through 10th grade, in 2010. Throughout high school and college we remained friends, and she's even come out here to visit me since my college graduation. This morning, 10 years into our friendship, she wished me a Happy New Year, and because we happened to be online at the same time we decided to call each other. This was the first time I've heard her voice in just under a year and a half (which was the last time I was home), and we were able to talk about the last year we had, where we are in life now, and what we hope to have coming up for this year.

An hour later, we hung up the call and I had the biggest smile on my face. Of course, when thinking of close friends from high school, she is undoubtedly one of the first two names I think of, but taking the time to connect - over more than just text messages, made all the difference to my New Year's day. Moving forward with 2020, I hope to be more mindful about taking the time to genuinely connect with my loved ones - both in and out of Chicago, in a meaningful way.