Don't Call Me Basic

Don't Call Me Basic

Why I believe the word "basic" to be derogatory.

44
Don't Call Me Basic
Bethany Newell

When fall season rolls around, it seems that anything to do with pumpkins is all we hear about. With this comes cute fall pictures in leaves, comfy scarves, and sweaters. All of this is done while wearing L.L. Bean boots and holding a Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand.

I love all of these things mentioned above and can not wait for fall because that means I get to wear boots and leggings and not worry about how pasty my legs look. (I also get to use my sleeves to open door handles.) So, I'm excited to crunch leaves under my boots and snuggle up in an infinity scarf with a PSL by my side. I like taking pretty pictures of the leaves that fall because they are beautiful and I am happy in the fall.

Doing all of these things and liking them does not make me "basic," it makes me, me. Just because so many other people love this upcoming season does not mean that those people are all the same and should be categorized as "basic." This word has really bothered me.

Instead of everyone rejoicing in their similar passions, we have put them down for it because we think these things are too common. So, when people are too different, they are referred to as an outcast, but when people are too similar, they are referred to as a basic.

Now, I don't mind when other people use the word towards themselves. I just don't like to be called it. I don't get offended by much, but for some reason, when society adds a negative connotation to an arbitrary word, I don't understand it. Why put people down for feeling happy about what they love?

There are also other terms that are often paired with "basic." These are "basic bitch" and "basic white girl" Why?

Why is it so necessary to put people down about who they, what they love, and what makes them feel good? Let's celebrate who we are as individuals and who we are together.