This Christmas Doesn't Feel Like Christmas
Seasonal

I know we're all thinking it.

702

The last time I felt the magical effect of Christmas was almost three years ago. I haven't put up my own Christmas tree, I have only seen decorations in stores, and I'm too broke to buy gifts for my loved ones. It's the best time of year?

It should be the best time of the year. The holidays are meant to be comforting, relaxing, and full of people we care about, but I think it's hard for us to see it that way now that we've grown up.

Being a grown-up is challenging. You can do whatever you want at whatever time you'd like, but paying bills is taxing to our mental health. When we were kids, we'd probably be counting down the last days before Christmas on an advent calendar, or making holiday art projects to bring home before winter break, or indulging on festive foods like cookies and eggnog.

Christmas is such a beautiful holiday, it should be celebrated as such every year, but with the demanding and painful act of getting older, we find out that we took our past Christmases for granted.

We would get dressed up and welcome our family members who had traveled to see us or take a trip to visit our long-distance relatives. It was all so exciting.

I believe the reason why we don't enjoy Christmas right now is that this is still new to us. Living away from mom and dad's, having things to pay for, worrying about final grades being released, trying to figure out how you're going to hang out with all your friends who are only in town for as long as you're going to be. It's stressful, but it'll get better.

Once we all graduate or get married or focus on a career, we'll all have a chance to sit back and enjoy the holidays. We'll kick off the season with celebrating Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Year's; in that order.

We'll have the chance to choose how we spend our Christmas and how much we'll want to decorate. It'll all be up to us, without as many things to deter you from actually relaxing on Christmas Day.

Just know that you're not alone in your opinion about the lack-of-Christmas feeling, but also know that it won't last a lifetime. Have a Merry Christmas with the people you love, and try not to stress yourself out on your only break before waking up for your 8 a.m.