Why You Should Ditch The "New Year's Resolution" Mindset
Health Wellness

And instead make tomorrow the day.

105
Photo by Amy Shamblen on Unsplash

It's that time of year again fellas. Halfway through winter break, we've had at least some time for r&r after finals, but have also started tentatively thinking about the next semester - and the new year. You know, the time when we all break out the list, whether physical or mental, and jot down everything we hate about ourselves/our life and want to fix, desperately.

media0.giphy.com

The problem is, the word "resolution" in all of its grandeur has a connotation counterproductive to the process of slow, incremental adjustments needed for consistent and successful change in the long run. Your "New Year's Resolution," which was supposed to be your panacea or magic bullet, falls apart by the end of January because the goals ended up being too broad/unattainable, and you inevitably let an arbitrary calendar dictate when to make large lifestyle decisions instead of your motivation and willpower to do so.

A year change shouldn't be anyone's cue to stop and think, "Hey, now's the time to do that thing I've always wanted to do!" because this will set you up for failure since you are wanting to impose change for the wrong reason.

Any time of the year is the moment to dedicate effort towards a change. Start now. Start tomorrow. Start yesterday! Telling yourself that you started your diet yesterday may trick your brain into thinking that you're already in too deep and should just continue with what you "started." It's genius!

media0.giphy.com

The moral of the story is to always, continuously, work towards an ultimate goal utilizing very small, manageable steps day-to-day. And to do this when you have sat down and curated for yourself a step-by-step process and routine to do so, and not just when the year increases by one.