Why there is a problem with upcoming Disney movies

Are Upcoming Disney Movies Problematic?

Disney movies have delighted us for years and years, but do the next few years of movies bring some major problems?

27
Are Upcoming Disney Movies Problematic?

As someone who adores animation and storytelling, Disney is such an inspiration for me. The Disney movies have been with me my entire life. In fact, I know that somewhere in my house there is a home video of me as a baby sitting in my swing while watching Disney sing-along songs. I also remember those days where I would run to the hall closet and search through the large stack of VHS tapes for my favorite: "The Lion King." Even to this day, I am still an avid Disney fan who adores everything animation from the theatrical releases to the TV shows. Disney has such a strong and large place within my heart and I can safely say that I will always be a fan.

However, just because I love Disney doesn't mean that I believe the company to be completely faultless. Every person and company has its dark parts and Disney is no exception. What is interesting about Disney, however, is that their problems are not all in the past; in my opinion, Disney has some major problems in its future. In fact, I believe that Disney has some major problems when it comes to their movies, especially when it comes to the movies coming out in the next few months and years.

In order to fully get an idea of what we are dealing with, let's take a look at the movies that are coming out this year. Obviously, we already have seen quite a few movies this year. "Black Panther," "A Wrinkle in Time," "Avengers: Infinity War," and "Solo: A Star Wars Story" have taken the world by storm and won the hearts of movie fans across the globe. For the rest of 2018, we have movies like "Incredibles 2," "Ant-Man and The Wasp," Christopher Robin," "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms," and "Mary Poppins Returns" to look forward to. Do you see the problem yet? Let's continue on with movies to be expected in 2019. We have features like "Toy Story 4," "Frozen 2," "Mulan," "Indiana Jones 5," "Avengers: Infinity War- Part II," "Dumbo," "The Lion King," and "Aladdin" hitting the big screen.

Do you see the problem now?

Now, I will be the first to say that this list could be considered incomplete. There could be other Disney films out there that I haven't even heard of yet and I am just unaware of it. However, based on this list alone one can see the main problem with current Disney that needs to be addressed immediately.

Every single movie coming out this year and the next is either a sequel, a remake, or based heavily on some sort of previous source material.

Don't get me wrong, I am super excited for some of these movies; I have been waiting on "Incredibles 2" for ages and it looks like it will be absolutely amazing. However, I do have a big problem with the fact that all the movies that are coming out are based on something in Disney's or entertainment's past. In cinema, you are bound to have some sequels and remakes due to popularity and a story narrative that can be told. However, in my opinion, it is another thing completely to dish out mainly sequels and remakes and expect your fans to adore them. Sequels and remakes, in my opinion, should be treated like the dentist. It can be a healthy thing to visit once or twice a year, but if you go several times a year you might have an underlying issue.

Do you want to know when the next Disney original movie on this list I found is? It comes to theatres in 2020 and is called "Gigantic." 2020: That is two whole years from now. Now, I know that animated movies take a lot of effort and time to make, but I think that Disney thrives more when it creates something new and original for us to enjoy. "Coco" was a beautiful and wonderfully written film and is proof that Disney can make amazing and compelling original movies. I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but when I see films like "Coco" overwhelmed by films like "Frozen 2" or "Toy Story 4," I can't help but feel slightly cheated. the feeling is only worsened with films like the upcoming "The Lion King," "Dumbo," or "Mulan." To me, these films almost have an underlying feeling of manipulation as if the film itself is trying to cash in on your childhood and nostalgia.

However, that doesn't mean that I loathe these movies. No, I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to any of the films in our list. "Winnie the Pooh" was a big part of my younger years and to see Jim Cummings reprise his roles as Tigger and Pooh warms my heart. I am looking forward to these movies, but I can't help to wish to see more movies from Disney like "Coco" or "Moana." I suppose I just really miss the creative and original spark that Disney brings to the table.