How To Deal With A Breakup: Men Vs. Women

An analysis of how society believes men and women should act after going through a breakup.

221
Ott Mag

A breakup is a hard situation to go through, regardless of the relationship that just ended. Whether you were dating two weeks or two years, it is going to be hard to end and get used to having that person not be a part of your life anymore. Having a significant other is comparable to a habit and since humans are creatures of habit, it is hard for us to end a relationship or essentially break a habit. Obviously, some breakups are harder than others and people react differently to the situation, which brings me to my topic: how guys and girls handle breakups and what the stereotypes are.

In a recent conversation with my friend, he was confiding in me because he didn't know how to help his friend, who is a girl, get over a breakup. My advice to him was to tell her to take a couple days to mourn. Eat junk food, watch sappy love stories (because what girl doesn’t love doing that anyways?) and once that is out of her system, to get right back out there. His response was, “She doesn’t think she can do that. It is just so much easier for guys to bounce back.” I simply responded that you do not have to be a guy to be able to get over a breakup easily. This made me start thinking about yet another stereotype society puts on men and women after a breakup.

Women Stereotype:

After a breakup, according to society and what has been portrayed on TV and movies, a woman is supposed to spend days, if not weeks, lying in bed crying and eating her emotions. While some do this and that is perfectly acceptable, one cannot assume that is how every female will grieve. Everyone grieves in their own way and if a woman wants to get right back out into the dating field then she should be encouraged to do so! Everyone deserves time to be sad, but dwelling on it forever is not good for anyone’s mental health. Dating does not have to be an option right away either! But go spend time with friends, pick up a new hobby, or put more time and effort into a current passion. Being busy will help you get over someone faster.

Men Stereotype:

After a breakup, guys are supposed to go out to a party or bar with their friend and have a new woman on their hip by the end of the night. The same applies to men as it does to women, this is just what society has portrayed through the media. Guys aren’t supposed to be sad in any situation, let alone this one. The stereotype says they are supposed to appear tough and have it all together even if they really are grieving on the inside. It is ok to be grieving and it should be acceptable for a guy to show it. A man should not have to be expected to have a new significant other within a certain time limit either. Again, however, that person prefers to grieve and then move on is up to them, unless it is in an unhealthy way.

All in all, this isn’t a huge issue in our society. However, when someone is going through a breakup they have enough going on and do not need pressure from anyone on how they should be acting. To all those going through a breakup out there, I wish you luck and move on in whatever way is best for you! Don’t be afraid to show emotion or get back out onto the playing field whenever you feel ready!