Why Customer Service is not Counseling Service

Customer Service Representatives are not Licensed Counselors

22

As a person who works in customer service, I must admit that there is a difference between licensed counseling and working customer service. Although customer service can pertain to the access of companies, these companies are not always meant to counsel customers who call in. Here is a list of what I have learned that needs to be shared with everyone else

1. A call center is not meant to handle your emotional baggage.

If you call a call center of an insurance, bank, retail, or any other company that is not associated with counseling, then that call center is not meant to counsel your emotions. Emotional and mental health are vital parts to a person's health, and they should be handled by licensed individuals who work in counseling, not call centers.

2. Forcing call centers to hear your emotional baggage won't grant you money

Since those that work in customer service are not licensed in counseling or usually have access to any funds to send to you, forcing them to hear your emotional baggage will not give you a monetary payback.

3. Yelling at customer service representatives will not give you what you want

Honey attracts more flies than vinegar attracts flies. Customer service representatives are more likely to make a note reminding the company of your bad behavior if you yell at them for following their script and trying to help you based on the rules of their company. Almost all customer service representatives must follow a script, and most do not know who the higher-up supervisor is because they are meant to keep customers following a legal process.

4. Customer Service is following an efficient script, not robotic

Customer Service representatives are taught how to talk to customers to address all the legal needs and the other needs of the customers. The script tops tangents from being formed.

5. Your length of the call does not determine success

Forcing a customer service representative to stay on the phone with you for 20 minutes will also not give you what you want. If you want something from the company, it is important to be nice and polite. Polite customers with sincere concerns are the most helped because sincerity is what determines how much help a customer service representative can give to you.

6. If you have a policy, read it

Asking customer service representatives to read your policy for you is a waste of time. If you cannot understand a policy, get a lawyer to read it for you. Don't blame the company for using legal terms. You can learn the legal terms too.