Community Bathrooms 101

Community Bathrooms 101

Common courtesy and cleaning up after yourself are quintessential to dorm life.

285
Community Bathrooms 101

The joys of college are endless: freedom and independence, new friends, and studying what you love are just a few. Living in a dorm can be exciting, but it also has pitfalls, community bathrooms being one of them. It's nice not having to clean your own bathroom, but the experience can be incredibly frustrating. This is for anyone going into college in the near future, or those already in college who just need a reminder on common courtesy and community bathroom etiquette.

1. Wear shoes. Always

There's no telling the number of people who have used this bathroom. My dorm is over 100 years old, and though renovations have been done, it doesn't change the fact that it's a community bathroom. You don't know what has been or will be on those floors, so do yourself a favor and always keep your shower shoes nearby.

2. Find your shower

Community showers are like snowflakes, no two are the same. At the beginning of the semester, use each of them once to assess the quality of each one, then stick to the best out of the group. My favorite is shower 4 because it's the cleanest, the biggest, and has a shaving ledge, which none of the others have.

3. Have a backup shower

Because with so many people on one hall, there's bound to be someone in your shower at some point. It's those days that make you question if college is worth it. My backup shower is #3. It's not quite as clean as 4, but it's a palace compared to 1 and 2, and it does have the best water pressure of all of them.

4. Figure out everyone's schedule

This may sound weird, but eventually you'll pick up on when people are in the bathroom. It's good to know so you can work around everyone else's schedules. You don't want to be waiting to brush your teeth when you have class in 5 minutes, do you?

5. BE COURTEOUS

This is the most important rule by far. Always, always, always remember that you live with other people! You're not the only person who uses the bathroom. I can't tell you how many times I've come in to paper towels all around the trash can but not in it, puddles outside of the shower, and water and toothpaste all over the sinks and counter. So please, please clean up after yourself. Yes, the custodians have their jobs for a reason, but they only come once a day.