Coming To A Close: My College Career

Coming To A Close: My College Career

The real world is coming a lot faster than I thought.

9
Coming To A Close: My College Career

They say that college goes by quick and boy is that true. I just took my last final exam for the Fall semester and that got me thinking, I'm going to be working full-time soon. At least I hope I get to be working full-time soon. College is supposed to prepare its students for the real world and to also get our degrees in whatever field we choose to study. So once I graduate in May, I'll have a job lined up, right?

I chose to be a Journalism and Media Studies major with a minor in Video Production. I went into this field pretty blindly as I didn't know the basic rules of journalism, except for the fact that I could write. I started to actually take journalism courses my second year of college and once I took my first course, I already knew that it was the field that I could actually pursue. Writing was basically my forte as I wasn't the best at science or math. I didn't enjoy being a business major and the idea of law school intimidated me. So to be able to major in a field that I actually enjoy was enjoyable for me. I met amazing people and got to create articles that I actually never thought I would be able to create.

Perhaps one of the most intimidating things about college is trying to find internships. Growing up, I always thought that all internships were just showing up to get coffee for someone. While there are places that actually still do that, there are a lot of companies out there that will actually teach you about your field of choice. I was an overachiever and tried to get as many internships as possible, and I still am actively looking for opportunities to enhance my resume and portfolio. Luckily, I was able to kickstart my career with an internship in the city for about four months. From there, I was able to get more internships. The majority of them were remote, but being the major introvert that I am, I enjoyed it a lot.

Now that I'm a senior in college, and just finished the Fall semester, I'm starting to worry about the future. Graduation is getting closer every day and there is this fear that I will be unable to find a full-time job. That's always the scary part about college. There's always the question of, "will I be able to find a job?". Even though I was able to gain experience with the internships that I was so lucky to have, I fear that it's not enough to land me a job with a decent salary. However, if I learned anything so far in my college career, it's to never doubt yourself and that everything you do here will always be accounted for later on in the future.

It's scary to think about what the future will hold for me, but it's also exciting to anticipate what will happen next.