Colorism and Racism

Colorism and Racism

The importance of color in the 21st century.

118
Colorism and Racism
Vanderbilt University

The U.S has a particular habit on identifying people by their skin colors, is it has gotten to the point where racism thrives off it. In fact as we advance we shifted to a multi-facial society where we are supposed to be this "melting pot: however, it seems that these visual identifiers are used against people of color.

The U.S. has officially recognized these racial Caterogies: black, white, American Indian, Aisan and Native Hawaiian. Though many scientists and activists have debated about race being a social construct, "More than 100 years ago, American sociologist W.E.B. Du Bois was concerned that race was being used as a biological explanation for what he understood to be social and cultural differences between different populations of people. He spoke out against the idea of "white" and "black" as discrete groups, claiming that these distinctions ignored the scope of human diversity" (Gannon 2016).

Now, the idea of colorism is not exactly an official term, type it in a line of text and you will see the distinct red line. However, Alice Walker published the usage of this word in her 1983 essay, "In Search of our Mothers' Gardens" as defined by prejudicial treatment by people of the same race based solely on their color. Now, that is paraphrased however if you want the full in-depth lesson feel free to examine her essays. Colorism is applicable to many races where we can see in the news how debates based on "dark skin" vs "light skin" not just in Black-American communities but in Latin America, Asia, Africa, pretty much anywhere. Plenty of research and documented texts have explored this discrimination that people face from their own race and feel ostracized and the need to conform to societal - euro standards.

Moreover, the other side of the coin is racism. Here is my definition without the word belief because it implies whether it is true of not, racism is alive and visible whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Racism is the inherent difference or discrimination against people particularly people of color by systematic oppression that continues the notion of inferiority on the characteristics these people possess.

I will not be going further into white privilege or systematic oppression because that is information for yourself to be educated further In. Additionally, this a global practice that cause endless suffering and people to lose chances in life on. There is a never-ending race war in the United States even though people like to say, "I don't see color," That is a defaming statement because to see color is to acknowledge the hardships and strengths it comes with. Color is a visible characteristic that is twisted to fit certain agendas; however, people need to see color to understand the gravity of race wars. Do not ignore the problem but educate why it matters so.

Thank you.