I Use My Faith In Everyday Life, I Stay Kind

Being kind is often one of the hardest things to do on a daily basis. Here's how I try to stay kind.

305

For those of you just tuning in, I'm an 18-year-old Christian going to a state university. I'm not going to lie it's pretty hard sometimes to keep up with and maintain my faith. Here's how on a regular basis I keep God in my life. There are three main ways that I personally try to keep Him present in my life. I have so much to say about each thing that I'll be doing sort of a short three-part series on them so tune in for the others. Also, keep in mind that I'm not perfect and there are definitely days where I could be doing these things better but like everyone else I try to live my life one day at a time. That being said let's jump right in.

As a Christian, I believe it's important to "live Christian". To me, that means to be kind, fundamentally love everyone, and to stay in the word. These are three things that I try to base my days on. In this particular article, I'll be speaking on how I try to stay kind on an everyday basis. It seems pretty easy but when you really look at it is kind isn't always our instinct. I best apply this to my life by giving everyone I meet immediate grace because when you really look at it who am I to judge them? I have my own stuff and I'm no better than anyone I meet no matter who they are. We're all just humans trying to be our best selves. God gives us grace every day. It's not something we have to earn from Him so why should it be something other people have to earn from us.

The other way I attempt to live kind every day is being slow to anger. This goes hand in hand with grace. Obviously, I mess up sometimes but I generally try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. If I find myself getting really mad at someone or a certain situation I'll step back and ask myself "is there anything to gain from being mad?" and "do I even have the right to be mad right now?". Most of the time the answer is no because when you step back and look at your anger most of the time you'll realize that it's so dumb that you're so mad at this moment. It's just not worth it and most of the time getting angry doesn't help the situation. Another thing to note it, taking a step back doesn't get rid of the anger but it does help. It can be hard sometimes to do. When you're really mad at a certain person or situation and anger takes over it can be difficult to take a deep breath and remove yourself. I do this as much as possible and when I do I notice that I'm a lot less stressed out because I'm not constantly fuming about things I can't even control.

James 1:19 says,

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger."

These aren't just commands that God is telling us. It's so we can live every day with a peace in our hearts knowing that there's a choice between anger and happiness at that moment. Why not choose to let it go and be happy? Show others kindness.

This is an article I've wanted to write for a while but I've been a little scared honestly. I don't want anyone to think I'm shoving God down their throat but that's the beauty of this platform if you don't care about or want to hear what I'm writing then don't click. I'm writing this for the people that are struggling or are just curious to see what I'm doing. It's also important to note that this is just what I do personally. Everyone has their own way of doing things. This topic is important to me so I hope this article can help at least one person. Thank you so much and have a great day!