Christmastime in November

Christmastime in November

Forty-three days and counting.

10
Christmastime in November

Even before Daylight Savings Time is over, and the winter season officially begins four days short of Christmas, people across the globe still manage to celebrate the Yuletide spirit for over a month and a half in advance. That means we get to hear Christmas classics before the carolers get to our doors, and put up the Christmas trees and lights. Oh, and we can't forget the Coachella of retail, better known as Black Friday. Advice to anyone partaking in that post-Thanksgiving holiday: shop online and on apps. Save yourself from all the violence and empty shelves in the early morning. In other words, I'm on Team Cyber Monday!

Come to think of it, it really does make sense for Christmastime celebrations to start in November, because Thanksgiving hasn't had enough impact for retailers to make a shopping season out of it, although I could be wrong. It doesn't help that the history of the holiday is just as controversial as that of Columbus Day, but that's another story for another day. And since Halloween takes up October, and Christmas obviously takes up December, it kinda does make sense for November to share a universally popular holiday. It actually makes the perfect buildup for Christmas and the new year.

From my point of view, Christmas doesn't officially get started for me until December, but I do like to get into the spirit with Thanksgiving. I mean, I am gonna make a Christmas playlist during Thanksgiving break, but it's not until after Black Friday that I really get into the Christmas mood. Even when Christmas is over, I'm still in the spirit, because I celebrate Kwanzaa the day after it, but once again, that's another story for another day. However, coming up with a Christmas list each year is pure, unadulterated hell, because not only do I have to keep my grades up so I can try to make the Dean's List, but I don't have very many hundreds in my bank account that I can afford to buy gifts for my loved ones! Also, as I'm getting older, that old novelty of a lot of gifts underneath the Christmas tree wears off really quickly.

For as long as I can remember, I've always loved Christmas, although not as much as Halloween. I won't be home next week, but I always look forward to putting up the Christmas lights, although my family doesn't want to put in the same effort with putting up a Christmas tree like they used to. Even though it's November as I type this, I'm already feeling the Yuletide spirit with the freezing weather and imminent snowstorms. The only downside to it all? When I have to get up in the morning and leave my nice, warm bed for breakfast at the Callahan!

As of today, there's only five weeks and six days until Christmas is officially here. But, that doesn't mean it's too early to start celebrating the most wonderful time of the year.