Celebrate Palentine's Day This Year

Celebrate Palentine's Day This Year

We should celebrate our friends.
1161

Love can come in many forms. When most people think of love, the first thing that comes to mind is romantic love. Which makes sense; the media feeds us narratives of romance constantly. Starting from when we were children, too young to fully understand what love is. We even have a holiday to celebrate romance. Flowers, chocolate, and lingerie move to the forefront of stores. But I think we put too much emphasis on romantic relationships, especially this time of year. So whether you're baeless or not, this Valentine's Day, make sure to appreciate your friends.

I know you're thinking, "Isn't that what Galentine's Day is for?" Technically yes, but it's only for women celebrating women. Which I'm all here for, but Palentine's Day is more inclusive to other identities. You can appreciate all your friends regardless of their gender identity or their lack of one. This is why Palentine's Day is so important.

You need a holiday like this because friendships are one of the most important relationships you build. Good friends are really like your second family. They're the family you get to handpick. They're always there for you no matter what you're going through. That's how I know I have a good group of friends. They laugh at all my jokes, even when they're more stupid than funny. They listen to me, even when what I'm saying doesn't make sense. And they appreciate me all the time. And most of the time, I feel like I'm doing the bare minimum.

And if you feel even a smidge of what I feel for my friends, I beg you to tell them. Tell them how much you care and exactly why you appreciate them so much. If you can, throw a small Palentine’s Day celebration for them. Include candy, snacks, and their favorite activities.

Friendships are such a pure form of love which needs more recognition. I hope you all can spread your love this season to all the forms of love you experience.