Your Career Should Make You Happy

Yes, I'm Going to Choose A Career That Gives Me Happiness, Not Money

Here's to all the pressure in this area of pursuing a career that is apparently more important than all the others.

17
Pexels / Snapwire
https://www.pexels.com/photo/business-businessmen-career-colorful-6805/

From most of the people I've met in the past few years, I've heard pretty much the same thing every time I mention careers in the future. The conversation goes something like this:

"You want to be a doctor, right?"

"No, actually, I want to be an astrophysicist."

"Oh, what is that?"

"It's a career that pertains to the more mathematical side of astronomy, where you use formulae and laws to determine the behavior of objects in the universe. Some of the people study the origins of the universe, and others may even analyze stars and their solar systems to determine if its planets are suitable for life."

"Oh, ok. But still, don't you want to actually help others and have a career that is respectable, such as a doctor? Where will you even get doing astrophysics with helping the community? Don't you want to save someone's life?"

Apparently the medical field is the only path in which you can be recognized and respected in the world, which is definitely not true. And astrophysics? It's something I love to do and will make me happy in the future. If I love the subject that much, I'll find a way to help other people and give to charity while I'm doing it.

Astrophysics is a subject that you just can't finish within a single lifetime. In that way, you have to be humble and less selfish to allow someone else to continue what you started. Even in the rare occasion of finding a habitable planet, moving any humans there would take at least a thousand years to be feasible. So it's not just medical doctors who have good qualities in their job, because every career brings out certain aspects in people.

If I honestly had to choose between a good salary and a satisfying life, I'd have to go with the latter. Money is hardly worth anything as long as you're happy. Sure, it has physical value, but your mental state can destroy you quicker than a physical state ever could. And if you're not truly happy on the inside, then what's the point of life anymore?

That being said, I know I have the capability to become a medical doctor. But it's not worth it if I don't want to be part of that field. In high school, no one likes a person who is just doing everything to get into college, or get the job that they don't want but the society wants for them. To have the best life, you have to listen to what you truly want, even if it's a bit selfish.

So yes, it would be nice to save someone's life, but not as a doctor. There are thousands of others who are actually interested in that field.

No, I don't want to be a medical doctor. I want a job that will give me the best life I can possibly ask for.