College Kids Have Low Gift Expectations, So When In Doubt, Get Your Friends A Candy Bar

College kids are accepting of all types of gifts.

67
Author's Photo

It seems like most days College kids live off of a packet of ramen and a monster energy drink. During Christmas time it's the same thing except we keep our energy with Christmas cookies and Hot chocolate. Here in college everyone is on a budget, especially when it comes to gifts for other people.

This is why holidays and giving gifts in college is so much easier than anywhere else. To be honest you could gift them a candy bar and I'm sure most of your friends would be fine with it. Everyone here one hundred percent understands that we're all broke.

No one in college is expecting much, I feel like just giving a card could be enough in some cases. There are some people who you are more acquaintances than friends with, I'm sure that they'd understand expensive gifts aren't necessary. And if you are in a relatively large friend group like me, then you can give everyone the same thing and not feel bad about it.

No one would be mad because everyone having the same gift can be a "squad" thing. My friend group is a relatively large group of girls. We are all very uniquely different.

My friend Julia got everyone a mini canvas that has the group initials on it. It was more for Hanukkah than Christmas, but it was so sweet and original. Everyone's canvas was different and unique, and because they were made by J, they were even more special.

Mine (obviously) was yellow with a polka dot sun in the corner. Our friend Rihana had a canvas with the galaxy as the background. I think Julia really captured the differences that we all had within the canvas.

Small little gifts are always appreciated, you could get keychains, pins, even rings. I know this is kind of female-oriented, but you could definitely buy socks for anyone. I know when we're younger we hate the idea of getting socks for Christmas, but now I always ask for socks.

I love getting really nice crazy patterned socks, but I also love fuzzy socks. There's no way you can go wrong giving someone fuzzy socks. Especially since we live in Ithaca, I'll take as many fuzzy socks as I can get.

So, what is the best solution for this? Secret Santa. Secret Santa is a way to spend less money on your friends and not feel bad about it.

You set the price limit low and have everyone say things that they like in the group chat. It's a good way to learn how to buy things on a budget. You just need to search prices high low on Amazon, Forever 21, and like every store out there.

Or you can get creative and make things. Nothing is more sentimental than something made by a friend. It shows (even if you suck at crafting) that you are going to make something special, but it's special because it comes from you.

It's so much easier than doing holidays with friends from home. It's specifically easier for two reasons. One of them is because you've been around your college friends almost every day.

The second reason is you can make this "friendsmas" whenever you want and have time to actually plan things. My friends and I are doing secret Santa after the break and that gives a lot of time to explore ideas. Have fun this holiday, and if you have time at least give your friend a candy bar.

Candy bars are easier than buying diamonds.