Indianapolis DJ Cam Miller Is The New Wave Of Club EDM

Successful Indianapolis DJ talks underground music, advice, and probably Bassnectar.

1115
Stevie Jarrett

Alongside Meridian Street sits the busiest Indianapolis bar, 247 Skybar. Three-stories of hustle-and-bustle nightlife, the thumping bass of award-winning DJs, and the sound of shot glasses hitting the counter as champagne is being poured. A room sits hidden but open the glass door and you'll find yourself in the midst of the underground EDM scene; the Glowroom as they call it.

"It's underground music but in one of the busiest clubs in the city. It's really the only Saturday night EDM event in the city and we're three years going." says Cam Miller, the host of "All the Way Up" which takes place in the Glowroom every Saturday.

This weekly event puts underground EDM in the limelight and introduces new faces and DJs to the scene. "I just like being able to play music for a living and also help other people do that as well."

Cam Miller is a name to remember as he is easily one of the most successful DJs to be born out of the Indianapolis music scene. Notches in his belt include opening for Infected Mushroom, Joyryde, Luzcid, Muzzy Bear, Hero Bust, and the list literally goes on and continues to grow.

"Opening up for Infected Mushroom was probably my favorite set I've ever played. They are legends and I got to play techno to a full room of people digging it."

The iconic opening set for Infected Mushroom by Cam Miller mixes an Alan Watts dialogue with house and techno creating a unique sound that is signature to his style. Creating a set is an art for DJs and it's not always just about pressing buttons.

"So to stand out you need to be more creative. Whether if it's random sounds or speeches. I'll see a movie and be like, 'hell yeah I'm going to use that for a set.' For Collage Carnival I had a bunch of edits with carnival sounds ready to go. Bassnectar has always done that." Cam Miller notes that Bassnectar has been one of his biggest inspirations.

While Cam Miller is obviously talented and crafted, he offers up some advice to newcomers, "Be a friend to everyone and be happy for the success of other DJs. Everyone loves what they do and deserves everything they got going for them. Community over competition."

He shows no signs of slowing down soon as you can him find at All the Way Up: Indianapolis Gathering, on Saturday, March 31. As well as Indy Mojo's 420+1 Party on April 21, alongside many other talented acts.

What else might you expect from Cam Miller in the future?

You have made a pretty big name for yourself already. You are talented and have earned a lot of respect, why have you not started producing yet? Or is this something we can expect to see in the future? I actually started producing before I even knew what DJing was. I used to try and make beats for friends of mine that rapped. Kind of gotten away from it lately. I do spend a lot of time making edits for live sets. Every show I play, I always make a few special edits for that show. Definitely going to see some original music out at some point. But it won't be under Cam Miller.

Hint. Hint.