More Than 6 Months After Breonna Taylor’s Death, The City Of Lousiville Will Pay Her Estate $12 Million
Currently

A $12 million cash settlement given to the family of a woman murdered by police.

1218

A little more than six months ago, 26-year old Black woman Breonna Taylor was shot and killed in her own home by police in Lousiville, KY. The police stated that they had a warrant that allowed them to enter her home without warning or without knocking. It was later learned that even though Taylor was shot multiple times, she was still alive for a short time before passing away on her bed. It was also later known that Taylor wasn't the main suspect of the investigation that the warrant was for.

After the killing of Breonna Taylor, violent and non-violent protests occurred throughout the entire United States. People have been rallying to bring justice, not just for Taylor, but also for all minorities, specifically Black Americans, regarding police brutality. The family of Breonna Taylor issued a lawsuit against the city for wrongful death and the attorneys of the city and of the family of Breonna Taylor have announced the agreement to a historic settlement of $12 million.

Along with the $12 million that will be given to the family of Breonna Taylor, they have also agreed to police reform measures that will be put into place. These reforms include officers living in the communities that they serve in, social workers providing support to police cases, requiring police commanders to review and approve of warrants being sent over for judicial approval, and others.

Since Taylor's killing, the police chief has been fired, Louisville city council passed "Breonna's Law" that bans the no-knock warrants like the one used on Breonna Taylor, and the officers involved in Breonna Taylor's death have not been charged. The attorneys of Breonna Taylor's family have now been pushing for criminal charges against the officers involved with her death.

Currently, the timeline of said criminal charges against the police officers involved has not been given out. However, since the death of Breonna Taylor, three out of four officers have been put on leave and the fourth has been fired from the police department. There is now a big push for criminal charges to be put onto the officers involved and not having a cash settlement serving as a form of justice for Breonna Taylor.

As the timeline for charges against the police officers who killed Breonna Taylor is still unknown and marches, protests, and riots continue throughout the country, there's one common theme between everything happening. Even as the country calls for justice for Breonna Taylor, they are also calling for justice for Black lives.