An Open Letter to Bernie Sanders Supporters

From an anti-establishment Trump supporter.

16
Los Angeles Times

Dear Bernie Sanders Supporters,

I know you were as fired up for Senator Sanders as I was for Donald Trump when he entered the race. In Bernie Sanders you saw a political outsider who shared your ideals and spoke up for the issues you feel matter most. Maybe for the first time you were excited about politics and your right to vote in someone who would fight for the American people and bring change. The crowds rallied behind our candidates for similar reasons - mostly because of their anti-establishment stances.

Unlike me, you saw the nomination stolen from your candidate. But he was not the only one they were after - the political establishment tried to do the same with mine. You saw the leaked e-mails where the truth came out that the DNC had rigged the primaries in Hillary Clinton's favor - the same thing both Sanders and Trump warned about. And we can all agree that is not fair - rather, it is a silencing of the voices of the people.

Unfortunately, Sanders did what he was expected to do and endorsed Clinton, who stands at odds with virtually all of Bernie's political platform. I implore you to not support Hillary just because Bernie endorsed her. If you look at what she stands for, she is against everything Bernie fought for and for everything Bernie is staunchly against. Bernie has been a champion of equal pay for women, while the Clinton Foundation has paid women significantly less than men. Bernie has pushed against the power of Wall Street while Hillary has been funded by them. Bernie (as well as Donald Trump) was against the Iraq War while Hillary voted in favor of it.

While I hope you will come to my side and support Trump, a political outsider himself, the point of this article is not to make you do that. It is an insistence to vote against Hillary. If I had found out the RNC did to Trump what the DNC did to Bernie, I most likely would have gone third party rather than choose someone who needs to steal an election. The Republican and Democratic establishments are both the same at their core, and if you truly agree with what Bernie Sanders stood for, you know that we cannot allow a political insider inside the White House. We cannot have a President who will cater to their large financial donors at the expense of the American people.

This election has become more than just Trump vs. Clinton - it has become the political establishment vs. the voice of the people. Whether you vote for Trump, Johnson, Stein, or write in Bernie's name, please remember what Hillary Clinton did to the candidate you so avidly supported and remember what the most important thing is - standing against the political establishment, regardless of what side of the aisle you stand on.