The Difference Between Good And Bad Bosses
Technology

Being A Good Boss Means Being Assertive And Knowledgeable, As Well As Honest And Understanding

You can't be petty or get down because what you did was wrong. If you acknowledge your limits, but also bring your expertise to the table, the respect will follow.

40
Boss and workers writing on a clear board

What's the best type of work environment? Especially as college students, we are trying to plan where we are going in the future. Jobs are always important and we have to figure out not only what type of job we want and are good at, but also we have to find a right fit. Usually, this comes down to the type of personality in charge.

Recently, I've been watching a TV show called "The Bold Type" and one of the most amazing characters is Jacqueline Carlyle. On the show, she's the boss of the progressive magazine Scarlet and the three 20-something main characters. As noted in this article by Shannon Carlin, she's the new type of boss that women will want to work for. She's a powerful boss, not because she emulates a masculine energy, but rather hones her feminine energy so that she is commanding and compassionate. Jacqueline acquires respect and demands the best work, but she is also able to foster her workers in a way that strengthens their voices and stories. She's is very confident and sure of herself, which allows her to quickly make decisions because she knows what is important in the business, both for her staff and her readers. However, she is also willing to listen, develop, and change her opinions and apologize for her mistakes. Mrs. Carlyle is not infallible, but she has the confidence to still bring her opinion and her character even after she has faltered.

In my experience, I've had a wonderful boss who has similar traits. He's worked all his life in physics and physics outreach. We are always willing to learn from him and accept his opinions not only on just physics topics, but life topics in general. He's willing to leave us to our own devices because he knows we will do our best even unsupervised. When it comes to the workplace, he's willing to change and bend whenever we show him a more efficient method. It's generally a great atmosphere to work in. Sometimes there are problems among workers because we work in such a lax environment, whether it is people coming in late, miscommunication, or not always doing work. However, usually, those people work out for themselves that this isn't the environment for them or our boss will point it out. On average, the environment gives us the opportunity to do our best. He knows what our strengths are and lets us run with it.

Between my personal experiences and the example of Jacqueline Carlyle (who is actually based on the real-life "Cosmo" editor Joanna Coles), I've realized that this is the best type of boss to work for or the type of boss to be. Respect isn't gained by always being right or fighting for your opinion with everyone point by point. You can't be petty or get down because what you did was wrong. If you acknowledge your limits, but also bring your expertise to the table, the respect will follow. There's also a level of transparency that is required. Not to say that you can't be private, but you have to communicate with your workers, not sit above them harboring information without divulging it to them. Being open, when you know they are erring or when you are erring, makes people trust you more.

You won't always come in contact with these types of people, but hopefully, more bosses, whether they are male or female, will try to take this approach, because, in my opinion, it produces the best results and workers.