Bees are part of those who grow honey. Don't be fooled by its appearance, because a bee sting can cause a lot of discomfort, even in cases of hospitalization. If you are a bee lover, here are some fun facts about bees. We will see?
- All worker bees are female.
- A bee produces one teaspoon of honey (about 5 grams) in its lifetime. To produce one kilogram of honey, bees fly the equivalent of three times around the world in air miles.
- The type of flower the bees get their nectar from determines the taste of the honey.
- Bees don't want to sting you because they die. There are over 20,000 different species of bees, found on every continent except Antarctica.
- Honey has been shown to have many health benefits, both when consumed and when applied to the skin. The darker the honey, the better.
- The bee is the only social insect to be partially domesticated by man.
- The honey bee is the only insect that produces food eaten by humans.
- A honey bee can fly up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour, so it would have to fly about 90,000 miles – three times around the world – to make a pound of honey.
- It takes an ounce of honey to fuel a bee's flight around the world.
- Honey is 80% sugar and 20% water.
- Honey bees produce beeswax from eight paired glands in the lower abdomen.
- Honey bees must consume about 17-20 pounds of honey to be able to biochemically produce every pound of beeswax.
Did you know anything mentioned above? Leave in the comments your opinion about these real working animals.