Why I Have A Bible Verse Tattooed On My Wrist

The best parts about my tattoo.

235
Unsplash

Before getting my tattoo, I thought long and hard about it. I wanted something that I was very passionate about and something small for my first one. I have never been one to think that girls should be tatting up their whole arms or anything like that, but as I have grown older I have grown to want more and more tattoos.

The words "Be Still." are tattooed on my wrist for so many different reasons. I thought about this phrase for almost a year before I got it, which I must say is a very wonderful idea before getting a tattoo as that is permanent (it took a while for that to set in for me). 'Be Still' is part of Psalm 46:10 bible verse of "Be still and know that I am God." Growing up as a kid, I had it real good. I had everything I ever wanted as a child.

As I got older and older, more and more challenges came along. Whether that challenge was something little or big, I always struggled with whatever it was and overthought everything, as I still do a tiny bit. I always wanted to know what was going to happen and be able to fix all of my issues.

In junior high I joined an organization called Young Life, a Christian organization, that truly changed my life. I had always had a relationship with the Lord but never truly knew him until around when I joined Young Life. Our adult leaders were always there to guide us through the hardships in life and support us in any way possible, which I hold so close to my heart to this day.

As I kept up with this organization all through high school and become very involved in it, I saw my relationship with Christ strengthening every day. I soon learned that we as humans are not capable to control everything.

God has the one and true plan for us and there is not much we can do to veer from that. I can put in all my effort to fix issues or to make certain things happen but if this is not in the Lord's plan for me then it's not happening. This was INCREDIBLY hard for me to come to terms with. My personality likes to have its own plan, my brain likes to know what is going on.

People who know me today would say that this is one of my biggest strengths most likely. To let God do his plan and do not try and question it, but four to five years ago as I was trying to come to terms with all of this, it was one of my biggest fears.

Be still is a constant reminder every day to live in the moment. To be present, to be intentional, to do all I can and let God handle the rest. That he is God and I have a purpose. The second best thing about my tattoo is that it was a birthday gift from my three best friends. 'Be still' is in my best friend's, Julia's, handwriting because she has such skill with writing. The period is contributed by my best friends Alana and Olivia because of course, they had to have a part also.