Attention Boomers and Gen X: Millenials and Gen Z'ers Aren't Stupid

I know more than you think.

64

I know this isn't true for ALL Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers, but it's more common than you think. Ever since we entered this problematic political climate, from the #MeToo movement to children in cages and everything in between, it seems that anyone (daring to speak up) that is younger than Gen X, is an idiot. That's according to the older generations, anyway. (and no, Karen, I'm not calling you old.)

I've been pretty outspoken about politics for a few years now. After all, my major is Global Studies and I want to be more involved in politics once I graduate. So many people told me after Trump was elected that if I don't like it, I should do something about it or leave. Those same people are now telling me how much of an idiot I am, and that I wasn't taught the correct history in school. It's funny, not only is that completely false, but school isn't the only place I learned about history or anything else for that matter.

See, from a young age, my grandpa taught me all about history. We talked about World War II in detail, and in high school, we regularly exchanged books about WWII, Pearl Harbor, D Day, etc. My favorite topic to read about was the Holocaust. I read Anne Frank's diary when I was eight. I always absorbed history more than anything, so when I tell you that history is repeating itself, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Boomers and their children love to argue with me, though. I get told more often than not that I don't know history. That the media is feeding me nothing but lies, and that I need to better my research. It's always an argument under the articles I post. It's really funny when previous teachers I've had want to argue with me as if they aren't the ones who were supposed to teach me the correct things. They also love to play the social media card, not realizing I utilize social media. Obviously, I love to stay up to date with memes, but I also follow politicians directly. I don't tend to follow huge media outlets, where things can be falsified, but reporters who get right in the middle of the action that reports facts. I stay in contact with friends I've made from around the world, who have different information to offer. Most importantly, though, contrary to popular belief, I do my research.

So, Bill, Karen, and all the other people online who only get their information from satire websites (while not even knowing what satire is) and Fox News, perhaps you should do YOUR research before you come for me.