Getting Help
Friendships

Asking For Help Isn't A Sign Of Weakness, If Anything It's A Sign Of Strength

You can still win with the bad hand you've been dealt

294
https://unsplash.com/photos/iJ2IG8ckCpA

Since starting college, I've met a lot of people. People with all different backgrounds, struggles, and circumstances.

I've met people who are going to school part-time and working just to get through school. I've met people with very little family and others with none. I've met people with children who have had to bring them to class because they couldn't find a babysitter. I've met people who are struggling, all in different ways but they're still trying to get their degree.

I've said this before, but college is hard. By hard, I don't always mean academically. Life throws all these other circumstances at us that physically make it hard to get through it. Whether it be illnesses, mental or physical, making it impossible to make it class or having to work two jobs and go to class early in the morning or late at night so you can graduate on time.

It's not easy to do.

But I see people do it. People find a way. How? By asking for help, whether it be from professors, other students, family, friends, anyone they can so that they can get what they need to be successful.

We as humans have a lot of pride so asking for that help takes courage. It takes strength to say "I can't do this on my own. I need help." And that's okay!

Life isn't always kind.

It smacks us in the face sometimes and we feel alone and scared. But the reality is that no one truly is alone. The support you need is there, you just have to reach out and accept it.

I know people that have been through so much and are standing taller than they ever have. They managed to take their circumstances and make the best out of them. They leaned on the people around them and were able to get through the tragedies in their lives. Although I'm sure they feel the pain occasionally, they have come a long way and I'm proud of each and every one of the people around me for that.

Now, recently I've met someone who is at the beginning of her journey of healing. Her name is Shannon and she is asking for help. She's been through so much in the last couple of weeks and could really use some support, just like I'm sure many of you have needed in the past.

Instead of sharing her story for her, I'm going to let her tell you herself here.

Asking for help is one of my least favorite things. I used to think it was a weakness. Why couldn't I just figure it out myself? Well sometimes life isn't that simple, and a single person can't solve a big problem. Once you realize that, you can do anything.