A Letter To My Geometry Teacher

A Letter To My Geometry Teacher

You were the best teacher I have ever had.

237
A Letter To My Geometry Teacher

I have thought about writing this many times but every time I start, I can never find the words to say. When I had you my sophomore year, I never thought that you would have made the impact on my life that you did. From the moment I first walked in your classroom, it felt different. I could tell you weren't just like every other teacher. There was something about you and your classroom that just made people feel comfortable. You were nice from the very beginning and I just got good vibes from you.

If someone had told me that we were still as close as we are right now, I wouldn't believe them. You helped me through some of the hardest experiences I will hopefully ever go through. You were there to guide me through heartbreak, boy troubles, loss, family issues, friendship troubles, and self esteem issues. You sat with me through everything and you went that extra mile to make sure that I was in a place that I could succeed. You were more than just a teacher in my life. You were my mentor. You gave me life advice that I can use much further than just in school.

Thank you for everything that you have done for me. Thank you for being a great teacher. Thank you for staying like 4 hours after you could have left to help me prepare for the EOC. Thank you for making me laugh when I need it. Thank you for being there for me through the hardest 3 years of my life. Thank you for being such a kind and understanding soul. Thank you for helping me through the college process. Thank you for all the inside jokes and happy times and nerdy conversations and the happy memories and times we shared together.

In our work based learning meetings that we had throughout the last year, we got this article about what students remember most about their teachers. In the article, it says, "We want our students to think we're the very best at what we do and we believe that this status of excellence is achieved merely by doing. But we forget- and more often, excellence is more readily attained by being. Being available. Being kind. Being compassionate. Being transparent. Being real. Being thoughtful. Being ourselves. And of all of the students I know who have lauded teachers with the laurels of the highest acclaim, those students have said of those teachers that they cared."

You are the most memorable teacher I will ever have. You were never afraid to be yourself. You were transparent with me and you were the most compassionate teacher I have ever had. People say this all of the time, but when I say this, I mean it. I truly would not have gotten to the point I am now, I would not have made it to graduation and I'm not sure I would even be here, if it weren't for the things that you have done for me. The things that you have done for me have helped shape me into the strong person I am today.

Now that I am graduating, I have been taking the time to reflect on everything that has happened. I am truly beginning to realize in these last few months just how grateful I am for you. I will never forget you and the impact you have made not only in my life but on my heart. You inspired me and you encouraged me to keep going when all I wanted to do was give up. Thank you for being you and being my biggest supporter.