An Open Letter To My Friends Leaving For College

It's only a "see you later".

51
Unsplash

I always knew that today was coming, but I thought it wasnt going to be so soon. I remember thinking that 2020 is so far away, I felt like it would never come. However now we are living it. This is reality. I always have said I never wanted to grow up, and look at us now; planning the next 4 years if adulthood. To be honest, it's scary, but we are all going off to follow our dreams.

I remember being in 5th grade as we wrote letters to our "12th grade self", asking about what our life is like. 5th grade me dreamed about this version of myself, and I felt that this person didn't exist. But here I am now. My 12th grade self, and now we have to all say "see you later".

Back in March I felt like saying "see you later" was way in the future. However quarantine made the days go by so fast, and now we are here in July, already saying "see you later". What I would give to make time slow down. Have just one more school day. Have one more party. Have one more hug.

Yes, I will see you later, but later feels so far away. I know our friendship is real, I know that we are moving on in our lives, I am just going to miss passing you in the hallways. Going to the beach. Grabbing food. Although, I know we'll have these things again. This is just "see you later"".

Being surrounded with people you've known for at least 13 years, just to end like that; that is the hardest part. Especially for our class; our time ended so abruptly. 2 months we were promised turned into quarantine so very quickly.

Regardless of things we can't control, I want to thank you for being a great friend. That's what makes the "see you later" more tough. I know, however, that we are going to accomplish amazing things and I cannot wait to share my stories with you and hear your stories. This is the end of a huge chapter, and the beginning of the most exciting one. Thank you for an amazing few years.