An Open Letter To Mixed-Race Kids

As a mixed-race kid, it's easy to feel like you don't belong anywhere. It seems that the more mixed you are, the more people want to nullify you from their culture. Although this can be tough, mixed-race kids always find a way to come out on top! As a message from one mixed kid to another, here are some things to keep in mind when battling yourself for your mixed heritage.

You can identify with more than one race, don't let anyone tell you that you can't. It is OK to be proud of where you come from, especially if it's from multiple places. Your diversity should be seen with pride, not a battle to choose which one is better than the other. This holds especially true for children that were not raised with any specific culture. It is OK to claim all that you are.

On another note, just because you look like you belong to one race doesn't mean that is the one you need to identify fully with. If you feel more in tune with another race, it is your right to identify with whichever (or all) that you like; this is who you are, no one can tell you different. For example, I appear to be Puerto Rican, but when people ask, I make sure to identify myself with all of my ethnicities, from both my mother and father's side. Don't let other people tell you that you are not enough of one ethnicity to identify with it. Just because my parents did not raise me to speak Spanish, does not mean I can't identify with my Latina side. As a person derived from many ethnicities and cultures, I feel it is my job to make sure to educate myself about them. After all, if you're proud to be who you are, wouldn't you want to learn about it? Culture can be learned, ethnicity is your make-up, don't let anyone take that away from you.

The last piece of advice I can give to my fellow mixed-race companions is to learn to be secure in yourself. Although race is a big part of the "introducing yourself" aspect of life, learn to realize that your race is not all that you are and there are many other things that make you, you! Never shy away from who you are, but also learn that there is more to you than what meets the eye. Tell people about your hobbies, your favorite foods, your passions and many more. These things will make you more compatible with a person, not the color of your skin or your genetic make-up. And the most awesome part of being a mixed-race kid? You are living, breathing proof that the world does not revolve around hatred; you are the symbol of unity. Take pride in who you are and what you represent! I know I have.