America Is Not Free

America Is Not Free

We use the word "freedom" incorrectly.

25
America Is Not Free
Public Broadcasting

I feel the need to put a disclaimer before this article. I love my country and the things it stands for, I just believe we have lost sight of these things. I in no way am calling for revolution or government shut down. This is a reform of the people of America. I am entitled to my opinions as you are yours. Proceed to read at your own will, keeping in mind that I also am a Christian.

Freedom in this country is a joke. Yes, we have no slavery. Yes, everyone that is a citizen has the right to vote. Yes, everyone has the right to marry whom they wish to marry. These things are wonderful, but America is hardly a free country any longer.

For one, we have let a religion start running and deciding the factors in our government. The United States was a country founded on principle of freedom of religion - to practice or not to practice certain beliefs as we saw fit. Today there are laws purely based off of Christianity. There are people nationwide calling for America to go back to "the good days" when everyone was Christian and didn't have opinions that contradicted Christian values.

We fled England because we were going to be killed for our religions and today we cry out that everyone needs to follow these rules. People argue that things should be passed because certain freedoms go against their religions. Okay, so you don't believe in it. Here's a solution: don't do those things. You don't believe in people being transgender? Then don't get the surgery, but respect they have the freedom to do what they want with their lives and their bodies. Don't force them to use different bathrooms.

Not only has Christianity grabbed America by the balls and made it bow down, but we discriminate against everyone and everything that isn't Christianity. Yes, we are taught different religions in school, but from a sense that they are ridiculous and in such a disrespectful light. We have classified an entire religion into terrorists and radicals, when the core beliefs of that religion are peace.

There is an ugly stigma around being anything other than a Christian in this country. Atheists? Evil. Agnostics? Confused and they'll come around. Muslims? Going to kill us. Jewish? South Park. Mormon? Polygamists. Christian? Good fairing people.

I have met people of all sorts of religious backgrounds and never have I once met a person that fit any of those nasty stereotypes.

A person is not defined by their religion, even though their morals might be. I have never heard of a religion that promotes violence or aggression. Even in Islam - jihad means the internal struggle between a believer and sin. It only within the last two decades has become what most people have viewed it as.

We also have this notion that English is the set American language. News flash - we have no official language. English is simply the most accepted language because it was what the pilgrims spoke when they came over. I heard people complaining about how people of different ethnic backgrounds (not just Latin and Hispanic) need to learn "our" language or "get out".

These people are so full of themselves they think their way is the only way.

And that is what is at the heart of the fleeting sense of freedom American citizens have today. I am a mixed Asian-Caucasian American born female. I'll admit, I've never really struggled against anything other than stupid racial jokes. I was raised in a middle class family and never wanted for anything.

But do you know why I write this article with confidence? I feel empathy, I feel compassion for the people who aren't in my own situation. My heart is open to their feelings and their rights as a human being.

I'm not saying that anyone needs to change their views, I'm saying they need to change their hearts. We are a society of blame and negativity. We need to go back to our roots - to fully understand that each person around us has lives and hopes and dreams, just like we do.

We are a nation divided. We need to become united once again. Not under God, not under a leader, but based off of our own humanity. We can't just like the people we agree with. We need to have love for those that we don't always agree with as well. It is the value of a human life. In morality, in compassion, and in an eternal sense we need to reclaim.

The American people need to unite again if we ever wish to be a free country.