Comfort zone

Everything else was so clear in my life: major in Social Work, focus on social justice, get a job you love. I had a plan, and to be honest, the writing was never a part of that plan. However, as I sat in my dorm room, watching "Jane The Virgin" for the third time, it dawned on me. All the talk of Jane wanting to be a writer really got to me, and I started thinking about all the things I could write about (I have a lot of interesting stories that deserve to be told.) So I went for it, and here's why I think you should go for something new too.

1. You may love it 

I know the main reason people don't try anything new is because they don't think they will like it, but you may surprise yourself! You may have a certain opinion on something just because you never tried it, so try it!

2. You may hate it 

Yes, you may hate it, but now you know! You won't be stuck wondering if you should've taken up soccer or writing or photography and regret not trying it in the end. It is so much better to try something and end up hating it than to not try at all.

3. You will meet so many new people 

The best part about trying new things is the fact that you will meet new people that may be very different than the people you normally hang with! You may even meet some of your best friends from doing something new.

4. You will become well-rounded 

It is socially good for us to try new things and get out of our comfort zone. When you are stuck doing the same thing over and over again, you may tend to become bored with your lifestyle. Trying something new adds some excitement into your life and teaches you new things!

5. You can brag about all the things you can do 

This one goes hand-in-hand with number 4, but who doesn't like to gloat? If you said you didn't, then you are lying. You could easily tell people about all you have done (even if you only tried it for a week) and they will automatically be impressed. This could even be a great way to start new conversations and break the ice with new friends!

6. It will look good on resumes 

Okay this shouldn't be the main reason to try something new, but it is a perk! Job and other opportunities that require resumes will be impressed if you have be involved in many different things, so go try out for the debate team or the soccer team!

7. It may open your eyes to other opportunities 

The key to success in our modern society is connections. So by getting more involved in different activities, you open yourself up to more connections. These connections could be academic or even just for fun, leading you to more things for your future!

8. You'll make great memories 

Memories are forever. So when you are older you can reminisce on all the things you did, whether you liked them or not! Those memories will always be there and be a reminder of how far you have come.

9. It can present a new opinion on the actual activity 

Many of us already have strong opinions on certain things. For example, I hate mushrooms, but I know this because I have tried mushrooms. The same goes for anything else in this world! You will never know if your opinion is valid until you actually try the thing.

10. You will be so proud of yourself 

Getting out of our comfort zones is a somewhat scary thing to do, but once you do it, I promise you will feel so empowered!

So there you have it! Now you have NO excuse to not try something new! No matter what happens, trying something new always provides something positive in your life, so go out and try all those things you have been pushing off!