All I Want For Christmas Is A Cure For Cystic Fibrosis

Miracles happen.

64
Kristy O'Connell

‘Tis the season of giving, but all I want for Christmas is a cure.

Over the past few years, Christmas has become less and less about gifts and material things and more about the intangibles. I no longer care about the expensive gifts that I might expect to receive during this time of year. Instead, I think about the things that can’t be seen but matter so much – my health, my family, loved ones, close friends…

I am so so grateful to have another year of life. In such a short period of time, I have seen so many young people pass away, and I have heard countless stories of people who are sick and nearly losing their battles with a terminal illness. I can’t help but think of how unbelievably fortunate I have been.

I think being healthy is the first and foremost thing that people take for granted in this big ol’ world. People too often forget that life is so temporary, and one’s entire life can change in the blink of an eye. Simple things like breathing, taking a shower, and having the ability to get out of bed in the morning can be taken away from you at any given moment.

I can't help but think about all of the people who don't have the privilege of being blissfully ignorant like the rest of us.

I used to be hyper aware of the fact that I have a chronic, progressive illness. But Kalydeco has definitely changed that and has encouraged me to be more optimistic – even though the fear of suddenly becoming very ill still lingers.

However, I find that there is really no point in dwelling on the unknown, so rather than wallow in sadness over something so uncertain, I choose to direct my energy towards fighting for the CF community.

I am a firm believer in the laws of attraction and the power of the individual to bring change to the world. So I hope that this article encourages you to think positively and be grateful for the intangibles in your life, as it may attract just what you need.

A little bit of gratitude and a lot-a-bit of positive energy might just result in a Christmas miracle (whatever that may be.) A cure may be a long while away, but we are getting closer every single day… so why not put the idea into the Universe sooner rather than later ;)?

*I want to make it clear that my wish extends far beyond the CF community and into all of the communities of people out there that need a cure.